For those of you hoping that NIL restrictions might fix the opt-out problem
The NOTBCS Guy
2024-01-03 19:20:50 UTC
Bad news: the NIL proposal scheduled for a vote at the upcoming NCAA Convention contains some specific conditions on NIL - namely:
(a) It must be for work performed (although it doesn't say how much - presumably, a photograph that the NIL provider can display somewhere would be sufficient);
(b) It cannot be contingent on the athlete enrolling in, or staying at, a particular school; and
(c) It cannot be contingent on athletic participation in any way.
Note that (c) does not mean that the company can't restrict NIL to athletes; what it means is, if a company makes an NIL deal with an athlete, it cannot cut the deal if the athlete leaves the team for whatever reason, including opting out of a postseason game/tournament.
JGibson
I don't figure there is much to do about NFL opt outs, but I wonder if there is any way to delay the transfer portal until after bowl season?
JE Corbett
2024-01-04 16:14:17 UTC
Post by JGibson
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
(a) It must be for work performed (although it doesn't say how much - presumably, a photograph that the NIL provider can display somewhere would be sufficient);
(b) It cannot be contingent on the athlete enrolling in, or staying at, a particular school; and
(c) It cannot be contingent on athletic participation in any way.
Note that (c) does not mean that the company can't restrict NIL to athletes; what it means is, if a company makes an NIL deal with an athlete, it cannot cut the deal if the athlete leaves the team for whatever reason, including opting out of a postseason game/tournament.
I don't figure there is much to do about NFL opt outs, but I wonder if there is any way to delay the transfer portal until after bowl season?
If a guy plans to enter the portal, delaying it isn't going to stop him from opting out. He just won't be able to make it official.
The transfer portal has to open when it does so players can enroll for the next semester at their new school. At most schools,
that starts in January.

There's a better way to stop players from opting out of the bowl games. Get rid of the bowl games and just have the CFP.
Why should a player risk his future either in the NFL or his new school by playing in a meaningless bowl game. A player could
still opt out of the CFP, but I think it is far less likely.

JE Corbett
2024-01-04 16:08:45 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
(a) It must be for work performed (although it doesn't say how much - presumably, a photograph that the NIL provider can display somewhere would be sufficient);
(b) It cannot be contingent on the athlete enrolling in, or staying at, a particular school; and
(c) It cannot be contingent on athletic participation in any way.
Note that (c) does not mean that the company can't restrict NIL to athletes; what it means is, if a company makes an NIL deal with an athlete, it cannot cut the deal if the athlete leaves the team for whatever reason, including opting out of a postseason game/tournament.
Of course, the NIL arrangements are nothing more than a ruse to allow big money boosters to give bags of cash to
recruits that they used to give them under the table. There is no way any of these recruits are providing services to these
companies that is worth what they are being paid. The NCAA is powerless to stop it. There is nothing new about this.
Athletes have been getting paid under the table for years, legally and illegally. When Kareem was at UCLA(As Lew Alcindor),
he wasn't on a scholarship. That allowed him to take a $40,000 a year "job" at Universal Studios. $40,000 in the 1960s would
be worth close to a half a million in today's dollars. I used to live in Columbus, Oh. I'd see the football players driving around
in some really nice cars. I remember working third trick at a 7/Eleven store when Archie Griffin came in about 3am. He had
driven up in a Mark V. The local news media liked to remind us how his father worked three jobs to support his family. I
seriously doubt his father paid for that car.