I miss everrybody
j***@mich.com
2024-07-03 18:01:10 UTC
So sad.
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-07-04 22:28:49 UTC
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
Yes, me too. Here is some nostalgia:

https://pmarca.substack.com/p/the-true-story-as-best-i-can-remember

Remembering the first days of the Internet when we were a million of the
smartest engineers and scientists connected by Usenet. Posting to newsgroups
where you might get an answer from the most accomplished person in the
world on a particular subject.

I was at Andreesen's first public demo of Mosaic, and came back to my
company telling everyone we had to do this. I'd been on Usenet for 4 years,
getting only a few newsgroups via a feed from UIUC. I didn't hit RSFC until
just before eternal September, because I didn't pull anything from rec.*,
only news.*, sci.*, and comp.*.
--
Lucky people are skilled at creating & noticing chance opportunities, make
lucky decisions by listening to their intuition, create self-fulfilling
-- Richard Wiseman
J***@mich.com
2024-07-06 13:24:09 UTC
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
https://pmarca.substack.com/p/the-true-story-as-best-i-can-remember
Remembering the first days of the Internet when we were a million of the
smartest engineers and scientists connected by Usenet. Posting to newsgroups
where you might get an answer from the most accomplished person in the
world on a particular subject.
I was at Andreesen's first public demo of Mosaic, and came back to my
company telling everyone we had to do this. I'd been on Usenet for 4 years,
getting only a few newsgroups via a feed from UIUC. I didn't hit RSFC until
just before eternal September, because I didn't pull anything from rec.*,
only news.*, sci.*, and comp.*.
I first saw the internet about 1990, when when my company gave engineers Sun workstations,
along with usenet, email, and ftp,. Usenet was pretty well deveoped by then, I read
groups in almost every category. Usenet was useful as well and entertainment, but email and ftp were invaluable.
I thought that was the extent of the internet.Then in 1995 or so I was listening to the radio "Hearts of Space" and in his slow
deep drawl, he said more info could be found on the "World Wide Web". What the f*** was that?
Within 6 months we all had Netscape.Coincidentally, I tried to order a book from B&N, it would be 5 weeks
and only if their distributor carried it.Tried the WWW and discovered a small bookstore name Amazon, book
was 30% cheaper and delivered to my door in 3 days. That was when I began to think change was in the air,
and when AMZ bought Tool Crip, that confirmed it,

Sears as always special to me, it always angered me that if I could see what was coming, that their professionals
couldn't. Sears could easily have out Amazoned Amazon,or even bought and renamed AMZ but they had the same
management type as A&P and mnay others.

Was your company in Brevard at the time?
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-07-06 14:04:02 UTC
Post by J***@mich.com
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
[...]
No, I was at a company in Champaign, which is how I got connected to
the internet so early. Arguably my greatest contribution was to
register cd.com when those opened up, which ended up being one of the
largest assets of the company when it was sold.

I went technical and started writing an e-commerce program which
eventually got successful enough to be bought by Red Hat. All
because I got connected to the internet at UIUC and went to see
Andreesen demonstrate Mosaic. I used BBS systems, Gopher, and WAIS
before I used www.
Life isn't fair, but it's good. -- Regina Brett
j***@mich.com
2024-07-07 16:57:26 UTC
Post by J***@mich.com
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
[...]
The internet helped me economically as well, but more directly. The simulation and layout software package for analog IC was very expensive. In the
90s it was $50K per seat per year. Companies handled it by having in-house license servers to auto check in and out the multiple components of the
license so multiple users could work simultaneously with the same license. This worked worked well but tied engineers to work physically in the plant
and to a salaried job. When internet arrived, it became possible to access license servers remotely, so a design services company could be set up and
use the customer's licenses. So, six of us incorporated and set up shop. In 5 years we had some IP and were up to 15. With our analog specialty and
technical results, a very large customer bought the company (with the proviso that 8 key people sign 5 year contracts not to leave). With internet in
the 90s, I was able to work for others for nice fees and bonuses, develop IP along the way, sell the business, and have an early and comfy retirement.
No internet, I'd be retiring from a salaried job with a 401k.Being analog was a big help, we're relatively rare, est. only 2K in the world.
xyzzy
2024-07-08 01:49:49 UTC
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
On Thu, 4 Jul 2024 22:28:49 -0000 (UTC), "Con Reeder, unhyphenated
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
[...]
As you know my wife went to UIUC. She did work-study at the supercomputing
center there, during which she wrote the documentation for FTP.
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie
j***@mich.com
This is so nice to see some old names again. Wish more would appear.
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-07-08 14:46:50 UTC
Post by xyzzy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
On Thu, 4 Jul 2024 22:28:49 -0000 (UTC), "Con Reeder, unhyphenated
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
[...]
Small world, indeed! She would have (probably) known another denizen
of the froups, Milt Epstein. I have met Milt only briefly IRL; he is
also a bridge player. He briefly went to work for the same company I worked
for, after I left.
-- Richard Wiseman
RoddyMcCorley
2024-07-11 19:03:50 UTC
Post by xyzzy
As you know my wife went to UIUC. She did work-study at the supercomputing
center there, during which she wrote the documentation for FTP.
IIRC, I used to go to various open FTP sites to park files there and
retrieve them when I got home. You could find a lot of interesting stuff
on others' FTP sites. Haven't looked in years.
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is."
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-07-12 19:55:42 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by xyzzy
As you know my wife went to UIUC. She did work-study at the supercomputing
center there, during which she wrote the documentation for FTP.
IIRC, I used to go to various open FTP sites to park files there and
retrieve them when I got home. You could find a lot of interesting stuff
on others' FTP sites. Haven't looked in years.
There are a vanishingly few FTP sites which still have anonymous upload
enabled; used to be you just logged in with your email address (honor
system of course).
--
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on my
life. ... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90%
attitudes. -- Charles Swindoll
RoddyMcCorley
2024-08-29 05:57:06 UTC
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
Did rsfc migrate to some place? All thee old newsgroup posts have expired.

Now that CF is upon us, I'd like to visit.
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is."
xyzzy
2024-09-01 14:59:33 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
Did rsfc migrate to some place? All thee old newsgroup posts have expired.
Now that CF is upon us, I'd like to visit.
Rec.sport.football.college Facebook group
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-09-01 23:11:41 UTC
Post by xyzzy
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by j***@mich.com
So sad.
Did rsfc migrate to some place? All thee old newsgroup posts have expired.
Now that CF is upon us, I'd like to visit.
Rec.sport.football.college Facebook group
Florida fans currently commiserating, no doubt.
--
Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer