UAB transitivity
RSFC Moderator
2021-09-13 12:15:37 UTC
UAB >> Jacksonville St > Florida State.

Not bad for week 2.
michael anderson
2021-09-13 17:09:02 UTC
Post by RSFC Moderator
UAB >> Jacksonville St > Florida State.
Not bad for week 2.
I'm not sure if I understand this.....these kind of transitivity chains are designed to show that one obviously terrible small team is better than some powerhouse. The general pattern by which that is done is a that really
small terrible school upsets a mediocre school, and then that mediocre school upsets the powerhouse. So by transitivity the small terrible school is better than the powerhouse.

But in this case, there is no transitivity needed as Jacksonville state DIRECTLY beat FSU. JSU > FSU is a more impressive statement in how surprising it is than UAB > FSU, so just drop the transitivity and go
with the direct result.

Now where something like these results come into play down the road is if you have something like FSU gets better as the season goes on and beats some middle of the pack ACC team. And then that middle
of the pack ACC team upsets Clemson. Then you have Jacksonville State > Clemson, which is the point of such transitivity exercises.......
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-09-13 17:40:26 UTC
Post by RSFC Moderator
[...]
Don't make me break out my version of the "Who Beat Who" website (where you can enter pretty much any two teams, and it will show a list, if it exists, of a chain of wins starting with a win by the first team and ending with a loss by the second team)...