Saban retiring? Might as well shut down RSFC
The NOTBCS Guy
2024-01-10 23:53:14 UTC
Oh wait - for those of us who access it through Google Groups, they are...
Eric Richardson
2024-01-11 00:09:21 UTC
RSFC was dressed like it wanted it. ($1)
Michael Falkner
2024-01-11 04:53:20 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Oh wait - for those of us who access it through Google Groups, they are...
About a month and a half now.

Mike
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-01-11 17:18:07 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Oh wait - for those of us who access it through Google Groups, they are...
About a month and a half now.
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
--
Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer
The NOTBCS Guy
2024-01-11 18:02:22 UTC
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix accounts with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!

There aren't that many of us - would it kill us to join an RSFC Facebook group? It can't be any worse that its "All We Talk About Is College Football" (aka "All half of us talk about is how much Michigan and Ohio State hate each other, and all the other half talk about is how much better the SEC is than everybody else") group.
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-01-11 20:23:21 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface
nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix
accounts with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!
There aren't that many of us - would it kill us to join an RSFC
Facebook group? It can't be any worse that its "All We Talk About Is
College Football" (aka "All half of us talk about is how much
Michigan and Ohio State hate each other, and all the other half talk
about is how much better the SEC is than everybody else") group.
In an alternate reality, that froup is already in existence.
--
It's tough being a conservative white male. You get up in the morning
knowing there are blacks to oppress, women to demean, an entire
least your day goes quickly. -- Bobber Fleck
JGibson
2024-01-11 22:03:04 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix accounts with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!
There aren't that many of us - would it kill us to join an RSFC Facebook group? It can't be any worse that its "All We Talk About Is College Football" (aka "All half of us talk about is how much Michigan and Ohio State hate each other, and all the other half talk about is how much better the SEC is than everybody else") group.
Are you not aware of:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsfck

?
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-01-11 22:19:13 UTC
Post by JGibson
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix accounts with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!
There aren't that many of us - would it kill us to join an RSFC Facebook group? It can't be any worse that its "All We Talk About Is College Football" (aka "All half of us talk about is how much Michigan and Ohio State hate each other, and all the other half talk about is how much better the SEC is than everybody else") group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsfck
That's undoubtedly an imposter group. Caveat emptor.
--
"Labor relations" now means government workers negotiating with
government workers to decide how much non-government workers
need to pay government workers. -- David Burge
xyzzy
2024-01-12 00:38:37 UTC
Post by JGibson
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface
nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix accounts
with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!
There aren't that many of us - would it kill us to join an RSFC
Facebook group? It can't be any worse that its "All We Talk About Is
College Football" (aka "All half of us talk about is how much Michigan
and Ohio State hate each other, and all the other half talk about is
how much better the SEC is than everybody else") group.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rsfck
That's undoubtedly an imposter group. Caveat emptor.
Not an imposter. It’s chock full of Usenet refugees.
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie
JGibson
I just figured that Con Reeder and Don were like Russell and not on Facebook. Of course, when I first joined that group it was open. It has since become closed, I think primarily just to stop conversation in the group from showing up on all our non-rsfc friend's FB feeds. But it probably makes it harder to find.
xyzzy
2024-01-12 16:42:15 UTC
Post by JGibson
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
[...]
That’s exactly what happened. It was closed so our normie friends and
family members wouldn’t see what we poast there and say WTF?
--
“I usually skip over your posts because of your disguistng, contrarian,
liberal personality.” — Altie
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2024-01-12 17:58:11 UTC
Post by JGibson
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
[...]
I am on Facebook out of self-defense, but I find it to be awesomely bad
for chat purposes.
--
An amateur practices until he gets it right. A pro
practices until he can't get it wrong. -- unknown
The NOTBCS Guy
2024-01-12 21:54:45 UTC
Post by JGibson
I just figured that Con Reeder and Don were like Russell and not on Facebook.
Looks like somebody has never seen the NOTBCS College Football Rankings page there.

As for me, I have been on Facebook for almost 20 years now, I think; my "memories" feed keeps bringing up the dozens of posts per day "from me" from CastleVille and FarmVille 2. In fact, I have actually gotten some decent stuff thanks to Facebook; on its MyVegas Slots app, I scored a free ticket to "The Beatles - Love" Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas.

I actually have a few "annual traditions" on my Facebook feed, mainly at the end of the year, including the lighting of "the National Artificial Christmas Tree" every year on the day after Thanksgiving (also available on YouTube).
J. Edgar Tarpon
2024-01-12 02:32:01 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
I wonder if some enterprising company is going to put up a Google Groups
clone like Feedly and TheOldReader did with Google Reader.
In my day, we didn't have this Google Groups or even GUI interface
nonsense - we had to find a university that gave out free Unix
accounts with nntp access, then telnet to them...and we liked it!
There are *really* cheap USENET servers out there. Then you just need a
USENET client.

I have an account at blocknews, and it's $2 for 5GB of data, and it
doesn't expire. Or if you really wanna splurge, it's $10.50 for 100GB.
If all you are reading is RSFC, that should last you forever.