Deer committee....
Michael Falkner
2021-10-02 23:22:54 UTC
Don't get cute and try to give the Bama/Georgia sec title game loser a 4 seed and rematch in the 1-4 semifinals....
I don't give a flip if you make the loser the #2 or the #3(it really doesn't matter). But Bama and Georgia are clearly the two best teams, and we deserve to see that game in the national championship game. Not the semifinals.
And yes it will upset oregon or Cincinatti or oklahoma or some other team who has no chance in hell of beating Alabama or Georgia this year in the 2-3 game and 1-4 game, but you know what?......who cares if they are upset. Giving one of Oregon, Cincinatti, Oklahoma, etc a 'feel good' championship game appearance when nobody believes they are one of the two best teams in the country makes little sense.
And yes I know this will result in noncompetitive semifinal games, whereas alabama-georgia and two of Oregon/Cincy/Oklahoma/tOSU/whoever playing is possibly two very close games, but again.....tough.
Why even hold the SEC title game then? Just meld that into the national championship, or you'll get a half-speed game where nobody is showing anybody anything?

Mike
JGibson
If the two of them go into the SEC championship game undefeated, I highly doubt the loser drops past #2.
jimbr...@yahoo.com
2021-10-04 13:41:31 UTC
Post by JGibson
[...]
Depends on who else is undefeated. If its Michigan then they might. Even tOSU if they win out.

Somehow Iowa is 3rd in the AP. Their defense might belong but the offense takes them down to just out of the top 10 somewhere. But voters love an underdog so if they somehow win out, I could see even them jumping the SEC loser.
Johnny RSFCootball
I bet an undefeated Michigan would be #2 in that scenario.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-04 16:43:22 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
I bet an undefeated Michigan would be #2 in that scenario.
It's ALREADY clear we have #1 and #2. I can't see an undefeated Michigan going over the SEC title game loser to #2 unless that's the title-game loser's second or so loss.

Mike
Ken Olson
2021-10-04 17:09:54 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Post by JGibson
[...]
They have to get past 10/30 first.
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen
Johnny RSFCootball
Or any undefeated Big Ten champ would be ranked above the SECCG loser. Hell I bet a one-loss Ohio St team would be ranked above the SECCG loser, if they win the B10.
JGibson
Might depend on how the SEC title game goes. If both Alabama and Georgia come in undefeated and it goes right down to the wire, I could see easily see them leaving the loser #2, even if the Big Ten has an undefeated team.
Johnny RSFCootball
It’s possible but I doubt it. An undefeated Big 10 champ would have some nice wins on their resume, as well as being undefeated and having a conference title. I bet the committee would have a hard time ranking such a team below the SECCG loser. And this is assuming that the SECCG loser cruises through the rest of their schedule, which I’m not so sure about.
jimbr...@yahoo.com
And they rank them so Alabama and Georgia don't play each other in the first round as well.
Ken Olson
2021-10-04 19:42:45 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Post by Ken Olson
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Post by JGibson
[...]
Michigan has a hard row to hoe for the rest of their season, as does MSU.
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen
Johnny RSFCootball
I agree. So does Penn State. I wouldn’t predict any of those teams to be an undefeated B10 champion, but if they were, I bet they would be at least #2 in the final playoff rankings.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-05 00:53:45 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Or any undefeated Big Ten champ would be ranked above the SECCG loser. Hell I bet a one-loss Ohio St team would be ranked above the SECCG loser, if they win the B10.
No chance, if the SECCG loser has that as it's only loss.

The optics test would probably put the SECCG loser as a two-touchdown favorite over the Big 10 champion, and that's with the Big 10 possibly being the only other playoff-relevant conference this year.

Mike
michael anderson
2021-10-05 01:43:08 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Post by Ken Olson
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Post by JGibson
[...]
No, a 1 loss Ohio State team is not going to leapfrog the loser of the sec title game if that's the loser's only loss. That's lunacy when you consider that there is an overwhelming concensus that these are the two best teams and nobody else is really close. Now would an *undefeated* michigan, penn state, iowa, etc? Perhaps....but thats a different story and it really doesn't matter who the 2 and 3 is. Either way in that situation the loser of Alabama/Georgia is going to be a big favorite in that game...regardless of who the 2 and 3 is.

But I doubt we see an undefeated bigten champ. There is no team good enough to run the whole table likely. But yes it is likely that a bigten team is going to get a shot at one of georgia/bama this year. Hell they could possibly play both georgia and Alabama in the playoff, but that would..........hmmmm on second thought yeah it looks like they would get a shot at one of them lol.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-05 15:08:18 UTC
No, a 1 loss Ohio State team is not going to leapfrog the loser of the sec title game if that's the loser's only loss. That's lunacy when you consider that there is an overwhelming concensus that these are the two best teams and nobody else is really close. Now would an *undefeated* michigan, penn state, iowa, etc? Perhaps....but thats a different story and it really doesn't matter who the 2 and 3 is. Either way in that situation the loser of Alabama/Georgia is going to be a big favorite in that game...regardless of who the 2 and 3 is.
There are a lot of people who believe there is no point to the Playoff this year -- and, really, if we had the right system, the National Champion would be decided the first Saturday in December.

There is no need for four teams when two are so far out in front of the pack -- the only thing that's changed is the identity of the second team.
But I doubt we see an undefeated bigten champ. There is no team good enough to run the whole table likely. But yes it is likely that a bigten team is going to get a shot at one of georgia/bama this year. Hell they could possibly play both georgia and Alabama in the playoff, but that would..........hmmmm on second thought yeah it looks like they would get a shot at one of them lol.
I'd even say an undefeated Big Ten champion should be at least a two-touchdown underdog to Bama or Georgia.

Mike
Eric Ramon
2021-10-05 22:11:39 UTC
the best thing about Oregon losing to Stanford, 31-24 in overtime, is that we won't be losing 63-14 to Alabama in the semifinal game. Or 56-7 to Georgia.
Johnny RSFCootball
2021-10-05 22:46:51 UTC
Bate!! As long as Georgia is still using Vince Dooley’s offense, they’re not scoring 56 against Oregon.
Johnny RSFCootball
I’m still willing to bet that if Georgia’s only loss is in the SECCG, and if Ohio State wins the rest of their Big 10 games, including the CG, then Ohio St will be ranked ahead of Georgia in the final playoff rankings.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-10 22:35:23 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
I’m still willing to bet that if Georgia’s only loss is in the SECCG, and if Ohio State wins the rest of their Big 10 games, including the CG, then Ohio St will be ranked ahead of Georgia in the final playoff rankings.
No, because then you'll get an optic of:

1) Alabama
2) Georgia
3) Ohio State (or Oklahoma if they win the Big XII)
4) the other of the pair -- would they even take an undefeated Big Ten champion Iowa over Cincinnati??

Mike
jimbr...@yahoo.com
2021-10-11 11:46:33 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
I’m still willing to bet that if Georgia’s only loss is in the SECCG, and if Ohio State wins the rest of their Big 10 games, including the CG, then Ohio St will be ranked ahead of Georgia in the final playoff rankings.
1) Alabama
2) Georgia
3) Ohio State (or Oklahoma if they win the Big XII)
4) the other of the pair -- would they even take an undefeated Big Ten champion Iowa over Cincinnati??
Mike
Right. Iowa's SoS 10. Cinci's 87.

Do you ever tire of saying dumn things?
Michael Falkner
2021-10-11 21:02:33 UTC
Right. Iowa's SoS 10. Cinci's 87.
Do you ever tire of saying dumn things?
Then don't give Cincy anything, and relegate the entire Go5 to a different division.

Either give them a goddamn shot at the title or tell them to fuck off.

And wasn't the entire point of this playoff scenario to give the Go5 a title shot?

Mike
Ken Olson
2021-10-12 01:58:35 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
Right. Iowa's SoS 10. Cinci's 87.
Do you ever tire of saying dumn things?
Then don't give Cincy anything, and relegate the entire Go5 to a different division.
Either give them a goddamn shot at the title or tell them to fuck off.
And wasn't the entire point of this playoff scenario to give the Go5 a title shot?
Mike
The entire point was/is making more money.
ÄLSKAR - Fänga Dagen
JGibson
He keeps saying the entire point of expanding the playoff to 4 was include the Group of 5, but there's no way 4 would include the Group of 5 most years.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-12 06:56:57 UTC
Post by JGibson
He keeps saying the entire point of expanding the playoff to 4 was include the Group of 5, but there's no way 4 would include the Group of 5 most years.
Remember Boise-Oklahoma, and games similar in the BCS Era, where the announcers were all but baking into the cake that these games were the reason that the Boises, the non-Big XII TCUs, the pre-Pac-12 Utahs, etc. deserved a place at the table -- and the entire point of a playoff was to give them just that, a shot at the title?

And, since the CFP:

UCF, the most glaring case, and, in fact, TWICE. (Though the Committee had the Kenyon Martin out the second time after the injury to McKenzie.)

Western Michigan merited a shot in 2016-17, unless you wish to demote them to a lesser tier: They went 13-0, what else can they do? (And why would you give maximum effort if you know you got screwed? And that's a maxim which goes across both Go5 and P5 screwjobs in the BCS and CFP Eras... Remember a year Cal got screwed and told the Holiday Bowl to GFY in throwing the game.)

Last year, you could make a COVID case, but, at least to the games which were played: Cincinnati, Coastal Carolina, AND San Jose State all did what they had to do in front of them.

Stop basically trying to play both ways -- maybe one of the best things about NIL and the future of what is left of college football is it will finally take this canard of a system (going all the way back to the Coalition and the Alliance) and blow it up.

Mike
jimbr...@yahoo.com
The Iowa's of the world deserve a shot too.
JGibson
2021-10-12 13:42:15 UTC
Yes, the game between 8th ranked (BCS) / 10th ranked (AP) Boise State and 10th ranked (BCS) / 7th ranked Oklahoma (AP). It's the argument for why they should be in the NY6, but not why they should be one of the top 4. A last second win against another team that wouldn't have been in the CFP that year.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-12 23:34:24 UTC
Yes, the game between 8th ranked (BCS) / 10th ranked (AP) Boise State and 10th ranked (BCS) / 7th ranked Oklahoma (AP). It's the argument for why they should be in the NY6, but not why they should be one of the top 4. A last second win against another team that wouldn't have been in the CFP that year.
Deliberate effort to keep them out.

One of the years, ESPN told the BCS that Boise was #1 the week before the official rankings started so they could recalibrate them out.

Mike

Michael Falkner
2021-10-12 06:46:22 UTC
Post by Ken Olson
The entire point was/is making more money.
So why are you wasting the money on the Slough-Off Bowl every year in the New Year's Six? That contradicts the argument.

Mike
JGibson
Well, my thought was only about Alabama and Georgia going in undefeated, and then keeping the loser at #2. Now that is not the case, I suspect you're right. If Ohio State makes it through Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Iowa with no more losses, good chance they end up above any other 1-loss team.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-11 21:03:24 UTC
Well, my thought was only about Alabama and Georgia going in undefeated, and then keeping the loser at #2. Now that is not the case, I suspect you're right. If Ohio State makes it through Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Iowa with no more losses, good chance they end up above any other 1-loss team.
If this goes as I expect, they'll jump Bama, Ohio State/Iowa, and Oklahoma in to keep the cabal in order.

Mike