ESPN ranks the top 150 all-time greatest teams
Add Reply
unclejr
2019-09-10 19:15:02 UTC
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history

I'm sure mia is going to protest.
Eric Ramon
2019-09-10 20:10:11 UTC
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
that was educational! Those Yale teams were awesome.
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-10 20:11:08 UTC
Other side of the coin - understand why you were the one that posted this.

Cheers.
unclejr
2019-09-10 20:17:15 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Other side of the coin - understand why you were the one that posted this.
Cheers.
I actually thought USC 2008 was better than USC 2004.

Of course USC 2008 isn't even on that list.
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-10 21:54:20 UTC
;) Hard to miss usc being... well-represented on this list.

I think they have a hard time quantifying. If we're going straight h2h, there isn't a team pre-1950 that could beat any 20xx powerhouse.

Otoh, they can't just be doing "relative to your competition at the time" because there are teams buried way down the list that dominated in a way a modern era team simply cannot.

So they're all weighing all of that and more and getting a list that's sort of meaningless in the sense that nobody can quantify those weights.

The one that has Michigan fans all uproarious is 97 UM being 20ish spots behind 97 Nebraska. They had two common opponents - Michigan beat both by larger margins.

Enormous weight put on the bowl game against Tennessee. Before the bowls, nobody was arguing Nebraska over Michigan.

Cheers.
michael anderson
2019-09-10 20:22:53 UTC
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
huh?? Why would I 'protest'? Everyone has a different opinion(I do as Im sure most here would, but that's different than 'protesting'), and Alabama did quite well on their having 2 teams in the top 10 anyways.

I never thought the 2009 Alabama team was that great(relative to other national title teams). I think 2012 and 2013 Alabama would beat it for example.
jim brown
2019-09-10 22:00:15 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
huh?? Why would I 'protest'? Everyone has a different opinion(I do as Im sure most here would, but that's different than 'protesting'), and Alabama did quite well on their having 2 teams in the top 10 anyways.
I never thought the 2009 Alabama team was that great(relative to other national title teams). I think 2012 and 2013 Alabama would beat it for example.
I wish I cared enough to search google groups to find where you, on multiple occasions, claimed the Alabama team was maybe the best ever, and, IIRC, that they could compete in the NFL.

But, alas, I don't.
michael anderson
2019-09-11 01:16:09 UTC
Post by jim brown
Post by michael anderson
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
huh?? Why would I 'protest'? Everyone has a different opinion(I do as Im sure most here would, but that's different than 'protesting'), and Alabama did quite well on their having 2 teams in the top 10 anyways.
I never thought the 2009 Alabama team was that great(relative to other national title teams). I think 2012 and 2013 Alabama would beat it for example.
I wish I cared enough to search google groups to find where you, on multiple occasions, claimed the Alabama team was maybe the best ever, and, IIRC, that they could compete in the NFL.
But, alas, I don't.
which alabama team? Not that one....I did say that the 2011 team had maybe the best defense ever. but I never said the 2009 team was best or close to it. It's telling that you even preface the above(incorrect) statement by saying you know you're not going to find these quotes that don't exist.

Also, I said that *certain parts* of the 2011 and 12 team could compete in the NFL. And they could. They had basically 8/11 people on defense in 2011 play in the nfl the next year or two as high picks. But I also said that they would easily get beat by any NFL team.

People misinterpret what I say all the time. You have to just shrug it off....
leonard hofstatder
2019-09-11 01:39:23 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Post by jim brown
Post by michael anderson
Post by unclejr
[...]
Because you say shit like this all the time and then when called on it
you say "that's not what I said, not what I meant, really meant this or
that..." and nobody gives two shits to look it up because we all know.

Or, do we all remember it wrong? Nah, didn't think so.
michael anderson
2019-09-11 02:05:03 UTC
Post by leonard hofstatder
Post by michael anderson
Post by jim brown
Post by michael anderson
Post by unclejr
[...]
I think you would do well to provide a specific example or otherwise you don't have much of a point here.

A more common scenario is someone says I said something I didn't(or greatly mischaracterizes it), and then they are challenged to find what I actually said and it turns out:

-it was greatly mischaracterized or
-it was never said

In this example JB cites, it's actually both. I was talking about a different team than he mentions, and he mischaracterized the extent to which I stated that claim.

As I said though, it's all good. People say crap all the time. You learn to just shrug it off...
Michael Press
2019-09-10 20:28:20 UTC
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
I thought it was all teams.
Nominate the 1984 Detroit Tigers.
Led the league wire to wire and won the world series.
Parrish, Trammell, Whitaker, Lemon up the middle.
"Blackjack" Morris anchored the rotation.
Only autograph I ever got was his.
His death stare about knocked me over.
Michael Press
Tom Enright
2019-09-10 22:51:41 UTC
Post by Michael Press
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
I thought it was all teams.
Nominate the 1984 Detroit Tigers.
Led the league wire to wire and won the world series.
Parrish, Trammell, Whitaker, Lemon up the middle.
"Blackjack" Morris anchored the rotation.
Only autograph I ever got was his.
His death stare about knocked me over.
IAWTP

35-5 Start
7-1 Playoffs

The only disappointment was playing the Padres. We were all sure it would
be the Cubs.

-TE
Corky Strew
2019-09-10 21:32:27 UTC
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
I'm sure mia is going to protest.
I was driving a scissor lift truck from Barksdale AFB La to McCoy AFB in the fall of 71 when I bet the guy riding with me the large sum (to me) of $10 that Alabama would beat Nebraska. It was a lot of money to pay out at the time.
We also went to Disney World and marveled at the ghost that appeared beside us in the buggy in the Haunted Castle. Magic Kingdom was Disney World.
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 10:54:05 UTC
Nebraska with 6 teams in the top 50. Did a Husker do this list? The ‘95 team is only #4? No, a Husker did not do this.
j***@mich.com
2019-09-11 12:45:27 UTC
Post by unclejr
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/CFB150teams/the-150-greatest-teams-college-football-150-year-history
But, but, I thought ESPN as well as AP, CP, and everyone else told us at the time that the 2006 Ohio state team was the greatest team
to ever set foot on a football field. They crushed everyone they played and even beat Michigan in the regular season end, who was unbeaten and ranked
#2. Lindy's magazine published a 120 page special on the upcoming BCS bowl and devoted 110 pages to OSU and 10 pages to their sacrificial lamb, some
southern school called the Florida Gators. But I don't see that OSU team mentioned anywhere in this list. How can that be? Does one little misstep
make you suddenly not "the greatest ever" and now not even in the top 150? Could it be this whole list is nothing but bias and BS?
Ken Olson
2019-09-11 12:55:10 UTC
#2. Lindy's magazine published a 120 page special on the upcoming BCS bowl and devoted 110 pages to OSU and 10 pages to their sacrificial lamb, some
Aren't they usually?
michael anderson
2019-09-11 13:05:05 UTC
#2. Lindy's magazine published a 120 page special on the upcoming BCS bowl and devoted 110 pages to OSU and 10 pages to their sacrificial lamb, some
southern school called the Florida Gators. But I don't see that OSU team mentioned anywhere in this list. How can that be? Does one little misstep
make you suddenly not "the greatest ever" and now not even in the top 150? Could it be this whole list is nothing but bias and BS?
I didn't look at the list but a quick glance, but isn't this true of all lists?

I mean we all have our own opinions of who the greatest teams ever are. This doesn't change that. My guess is I would most take issue with the list if I looked at it closer by the exclusion of both highly ranked 1 loss teams and non-nc winning teams. Like just in the top ten that had 2009 Alabama, and Im not sure 2009 Alabama is one of the top ten Alabama teams(they probably are with me, but they would be towards the second half of the top ten). Also I'd had some non-national title teams fairly high. I thought 2011 LSU was a great team for example when looking at their resume

National titles are really important I would agree if I were to make out a list like this, but I don't think they are the end all be all.

My #1 would probably be 2011 Alabama, but we all have different opinions :)

1991 Miami and Washington would also rank highly