THE American Conference
Johnny RSFCootball
2021-07-31 21:24:34 UTC
Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU…

wow.
Plaidmoon
2021-07-31 23:32:55 UTC
Post by Johnny RSFCootball
Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU…
wow.
These schools have all been in the AAC since it started in 2013. Why the shock and surprise now?
Johnny RSFCootball
2021-08-01 01:06:19 UTC
I just think we’re at the point now where it’s THE American conference and everybody else.
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2021-08-01 14:52:11 UTC
Post by Plaidmoon
Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU???
wow.
These schools have all been in the AAC since it started in 2013. Why the shock and surprise now?
I just think we???re at the point now where it???s THE American conference and everybody else.
I think what is happening is natural considering the combination of the management of the NCAA
and the Title IX insanity of the past 30 years.

Eventually we'll have one big conference of all the schools with players and attendance worthy
of significant remuneration, and the NCAA will go the way of the NAIA.
--
Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer
JGibson
Since Title IX is federal law, how exactly is making a new conference (that would conceivably break away from the NCAA) going to help?
Michael Falkner
2021-08-03 17:48:42 UTC
Post by JGibson
Since Title IX is federal law, how exactly is making a new conference (that would conceivably break away from the NCAA) going to help?
Not that action, but rendering it either unconstitutional or unenforceable would "help" in that regard.

Mike
Con Reeder, unhyphenated American
2021-08-05 18:26:00 UTC
Post by Plaidmoon
Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, UCF, SMU???
wow.
These schools have all been in the AAC since it started in 2013. Why the shock and surprise now?
I just think we???re at the point now where it???s THE American conference and everybody else.
I think what is happening is natural considering the combination of the management of the NCAA
and the Title IX insanity of the past 30 years.
Since Title IX is federal law, how exactly is making a new conference
(that would conceivably break away from the NCAA) going to help?
It's called the handling of a situation.
relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Dick Feynman
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-08-05 20:53:01 UTC
Title IX is about to die. I can't see how Title IX and the Americans With Disabilities Act can co-exist, as it relates to sports. My guess is Title IX goes, allowing the bigots to rule the roost AND eliminate "wimmins sports" from where they don't want that.
Okay, I'll ask: what do Title IX and the Americans With Disabilities Act have to do with each other? Hint: the ADA says that transsexuality is not a "disability," so there is no ADA protection for a transgender woman who wants to compete against other women. Besides, Title IX and the ADA have managed to coexist for over 30 years now.
Michael Falkner
2021-08-07 15:56:21 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Title IX is about to die. I can't see how Title IX and the Americans With Disabilities Act can co-exist, as it relates to sports. My guess is Title IX goes, allowing the bigots to rule the roost AND eliminate "wimmins sports" from where they don't want that.
Okay, I'll ask: what do Title IX and the Americans With Disabilities Act have to do with each other? Hint: the ADA says that transsexuality is not a "disability," so there is no ADA protection for a transgender woman who wants to compete against other women. Besides, Title IX and the ADA have managed to coexist for over 30 years now.
Actually, yes it does.

Mike
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-08-07 18:11:11 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Okay, I'll ask: what do Title IX and the Americans With Disabilities Act have to do with each other? Hint: the ADA says that transsexuality is not a "disability," so there is no ADA protection for a transgender woman who wants to compete against other women. Besides, Title IX and the ADA have managed to coexist for over 30 years now.
Actually, yes it does.
Your source of this "fact"? Here is my source that it is not:
Title 42, Section 12211(b)(1), United States Code:
"Under this chapter, the term “disability” shall not include transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders."
("This chapter" refers to Title 42, Chapter 126 (Sections 12101-12213), which is the AADA and subsequent amendments.)
Michael Falkner
2021-08-08 06:24:09 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
"Under this chapter, the term “disability” shall not include transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders."
("This chapter" refers to Title 42, Chapter 126 (Sections 12101-12213), which is the AADA and subsequent amendments.)
So why are people getting disability then for gender dysphoria?

Mike (I'll wait over here.)
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-08-08 14:16:16 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
"Under this chapter, the term “disability” shall not include transvestism, transsexualism, pedophilia, exhibitionism, voyeurism, gender identity disorders not resulting from physical impairments, or other sexual behavior disorders."
("This chapter" refers to Title 42, Chapter 126 (Sections 12101-12213), which is the AADA and subsequent amendments.)
So why are people getting disability then for gender dysphoria?
Well, here's one excuse from some lawyer's website:
"While transgenderism in itself isn't a recognized disability, a person with the condition may have one or more other disorders that qualify for disability payment. As long as the conditions suffered make it difficult or impossible for a person to work for a period of one year or more, he or she should qualify for disability benefits.
Mental effects of gender dysphoria that may qualify for benefits include...anxiety, clinical depression, and mental illness."

Of course, we'll have to wait and see how far up the legal chain Blatt v. Cabela's Retail gets (is the claim that transsexualism et al. not a "disability" constitutional in light of the Equal Protection clause?).
Also note that a number of courts that have ruled that transgender students can use restrooms based on their gender identity, not in spite of Title IX, but BECAUSE of it.