I don't watch any network tv shows really....
Add Reply
michael anderson
2019-09-09 01:48:06 UTC
but I know a tad about them because I watch a lot of football and they run the promos nonstop...especially on nbc SNF

And my god I've seen some promos that make shows look like they are going to be bad, but this bluff city law with the sorta cute white girl I've never seen before and the sorta latino guy from NYPD Blue and I think LA Law(how's that for an aged reference?) looks like it will be absolutely atrocious....I wouldn't watch that for 600 dollars an hour
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-09 02:37:20 UTC
Yeah I know a few people working on the production. I wish them the best, but I’m not expecting a second season. There could be really good show made about legal and social issues in Memphis, but that show would probably have to be on hbo or Netflix. At least their filming it here. There was a show about 10 years ago on some cable channel like USA or TNT starring Jason Lee as a memphis detective. I think it was called memphis blue, but they filmed it in New Orleans. You could tell the writers were yankees that knew nothing about the south. They basically thought memphis was Nashville. And not even modern Nashville. More like 30 years ago Nashville.
michael anderson
2019-09-09 03:40:25 UTC
My sister and ex brother in law did their residency and fellowship in Memphis so I would visit her every couple of months and got to know a little bit about it. They lived in Germantown and then Collierville. Those particular places just didn't seem to have a lot of character. I just wasn't a huge fan of Memphis, but to each their own.
Some dued
2019-09-09 09:16:35 UTC
I was stationed in Millington just outside of Memphis for 6 months, I thought Memphis was a bit of a dump with some neat areas. Millington is the Monarch of dumps.
jim brown
2019-09-09 15:59:27 UTC
We drove down to memphis for Iowa state's bowl a couple years ago...the real dumps were the small towns along the interstate in Arkansas.
unclejr
2019-09-09 17:05:24 UTC
You're an ISU fan? If so, how does that work exactly? Especially, when Iowa plays them.
jim brown
2019-09-10 02:11:14 UTC
Post by unclejr
Post by jim brown
Post by Some dued
I was stationed in Millington just outside of Memphis for 6 months, I thought Memphis was a bit of a dump with some neat areas. Millington is the Monarch of dumps.
We drove down to memphis for Iowa state's bowl a couple years ago...the real dumps were the small towns along the interstate in Arkansas.
You're an ISU fan? If so, how does that work exactly? Especially, when Iowa plays them.
Got my BS from ISU. Grew up a Hawkeye fan, watching or listening to the football and basketball games with my dad.

I support both, but Iowa first and when they play. I think Iowa St has a far better and more entertaining basketball team (and Alford and Lickliter absolutely ruined Iowa BB for me) and I think Iowa state's current coach is a find for them and if he sticks around he will be playing for a conference title within a few years.

I took a lot of grief from my five housemates in college. Like they would hide my tV on game day, give me shit while we drank in the bars for all to hear, etc.
jim brown
2019-09-10 02:12:30 UTC
Its the only ISU bowl game I've seen(with good reason if you know what I mean). But my gf at the time and I wanted to see memphis so it was a great opportunity.
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-09 17:14:45 UTC
You mean that tiny stretch of 55?

I drove all the way across Arkansas with my kids. Let me tell you, that was some kind of scary. From Memphis to Texarkana. Yikes. It got better as we got closer to Texas, slightly.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-09 19:02:12 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
You mean that tiny stretch of 55?
I drove all the way across Arkansas with my kids. Let me tell you, that was some kind of scary. From Memphis to Texarkana. Yikes. It got better as we got closer to Texas, slightly.
If that scares you, don't go from Greenville MS to Monroe LA. You can
nap on 20 and 30 it's so easy. Just get in the left lane and set
cruise on 90.

Hugh
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-09 19:45:31 UTC
We went back through Louisiana and Mississippi. The Deep South is not ever going to be a real consideration for my family to live. But I’ll also say we run into many friendly folks. Some nice Tennessee folks even warned us to stay on the interstate.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-09 21:42:07 UTC
We went back through Louisiana and Mississippi. The Deep South is not ever=
going to be a real consideration for my family to live. But I=E2=80=99ll =
also say we run into many friendly folks. Some nice Tennessee folks even w=
arned us to stay on the interstate.
I understand the South is not for everyone - but I was never awed by
the north and they speak funny. Home is whereever I am.

I think the north should make reparations to the South for taking the
slaves back.

There is far more thuggery on 10 than 20 and 30.

Hugh
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-10 02:37:38 UTC
The interstates are the worst part of the south. You got bad advise.
Tim VanWagoner
2019-09-10 04:17:26 UTC
Yeah, I don’t think his comment had to do with the roads so much as the expected reception his family would get.
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-10 05:11:42 UTC
I meant the areas around the interstates, not the roads themselves. I agree that those areas can be scary. If that’s all you know about the south, then no wonder you’re scared of the south.
jim brown
2019-09-10 12:45:44 UTC
Isn't Andrew FROM the south, originally?
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-10 14:23:08 UTC
Andrew?
jim brown
2019-09-11 09:53:07 UTC
Post by J***@protonmail.com
Andrew?
My bad. Brent and Andrew look alike to me.
t***@yahoo.com
2019-09-11 18:23:57 UTC
Technically I still live in the south. But relatively quite different from where I grew up. I live in wealthy burbs, but grew up in a small mill town in a rural county. South Mississippi is about as south as you can get. It’s like any place. We have a varied populace. I grew up amazingly cross cultural thanks to my parents.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-10 13:34:24 UTC
I meant the areas around the interstates, not the roads themselves. I agre=
e that those areas can be scary. If that=E2=80=99s all you know about the =
south, then no wonder you=E2=80=99re scared of the south.
The rural areas of the South are the brier patch to my B'rer Rabbit.
My native language is drawl.

Hugh
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-10 13:30:21 UTC
Post by J***@protonmail.com
The interstates are the worst part of the south. You got bad advise.
No, the people coming South from the north for the winter are the
worst.

Hugh
Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger
2019-09-10 15:06:21 UTC
I drove both I-81 and I-66 this weekend. They sucked equally.
JGibson
2019-09-10 15:18:12 UTC
I-81 where? Once you get north of Scranton, the drive on I-81 from there to Binghamton is pretty good.
Damon Hynes, Cyclone Ranger
2019-09-10 17:09:15 UTC
Winchester VA to Wytheville VA. It was like the scene from Beyond Thunderdome where Max is being chased by Tina Turner. Balls. To. Tha. Wall.
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 03:24:34 UTC
Brent,

Instead if just criticizing other people’s advice, I should give you some of mine own. If you want to give the south another chance, then for a family trip I recommend the beaches in the Sarasota/St. Pete area or spend a day in Chattanooga, Asheville next, and then blue ridge parkway
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 04:57:33 UTC
And I recommend the Sarasota/st Pete beaches only after the snowbirds have cleared out.
jim brown
2019-09-11 09:57:20 UTC
Clearwater beach is Amazing! Been there multiple times. But that doesn't change the fact that there are some bad areas in the south. One can also find some both good and bad areas in Chicago and Detroit, etc.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-11 14:43:51 UTC
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 02:57:20 -0700 (PDT), jim brown
Post by J***@protonmail.com
Brent,
=20
Instead if just criticizing other people=E2=80=99s advice, I should give =
you some of mine own. If you want to give the south another chance, then fo=
r a family trip I recommend the beaches in the Sarasota/St. Pete area or sp=
end a day in Chattanooga, Asheville next, and then blue ridge parkway
One can also f=
ind some both good and bad areas in Chicago and Detroit, etc.
The beaches there are not so great.

Hugh
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 15:54:26 UTC
Jim, a lot of people view the south as one big monolith is region, like a giant Cracker Barrel. It’s like the south belongs to the scotch Irish and everyone else is window dressing. Northern liberals are as guilty as this as anyone, which is why Biden does well down here. There is as much cultural and geographic diversity down here as any other part of the country. Maybe more. The Florida beaches are different than the Smokey mountains which are different than coastal Carolina which is different than the Louisiana swamps which is different than the ozarks which is different than the Texas hill country. We have Mexican towns, Cajun towns, creole towns, Cuban towns, African American towns, and, yes, scotch Irish towns. My little part of the south is near a large rural area consisting mostly of African Americans. That’s pretty rare in other parts of the country. This region has seen some of the country’s worst tragedies, but has produced some of its best food and music. It’s not pretty to look at, but you haven’t had the full American experience until you’ve been to a juke joint in Clarksdale, MS.

I’m sure similar things could be said about the Midwest.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-11 16:16:35 UTC
It=E2=80=99s not pretty to look at,
It's a Garden of Eden compared to whatever else there is.
but=
you haven=E2=80=99t had the full American experience until you=E2=80=99ve =
been to a juke joint in Clarksdale, MS.
Is the house at 333 Mississippi Avenue still standing?

Hugh
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 19:46:54 UTC
Hugh,

https://goo.gl/maps/j6GSJRytk4RHXVVYA
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-11 20:14:26 UTC
Post by J***@protonmail.com
Hugh,
https://goo.gl/maps/j6GSJRytk4RHXVVYA
It doesn't look like it did in the early 40s.

61 from c'dale amost to Tunica - no hills, no curves.

Have you ever seen how fast you can drive it? I averaged 100 mph+
once.

In 1952 my wife made me slow down and I was passed for the first time
in 10 years on a highway.

Hugh
jim brown
2019-09-11 18:10:16 UTC
Post by J***@protonmail.com
[...]
I've traveled more than probably the average person (though not anywhere close to people like xy and Andrew) and I've loved about everywhere I've been in the south. Central and south florida was clean and friendly. Food in NOLA was amazing, and NOLA reminded me a lot of Des Moines. Now, baton rouge was less impressive, but the river and LSU were great. I've liked every part of tejas I've been to, from traveling the east coast and the retirement areas from brownsville west, San Antonio, dallas, Whichita Falls. Southern Missouri and n arkansas were very serene. Loved the history of Memphis. Only been through Nashville but its on my short list to explore. Now i did think the coastal areas of south and North carolina were kinda dirty...that was twenty years ago.

I think northerners make fun of the south the same way they make fun of us...Out country is pretty boring and lifeless four months out of the year. I find Iowa to be ugly early in the spring, with no snow but still to cold to green anything up. And by july its all covered in 10' tall corn. And don't even get me started on Nebraska (at least what one sees on the intrastate).

So no offense meant to anyone when we make fun of the south. We make fun of our own state to ourselves all the time.
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 18:58:55 UTC
Dude, what do you think folks see on the interstate driving through Iowa?

I’ve been to a lot of parts of Iowa at least relative to your average person, Quad cities area, Amana Colonies, Grinnell, Iowa City, Des Moines, Council Bluffs, Sioux City, Onowa, Corning, Shenandoah and quite a bit of driving through on 80, 35 and highway 2 and highway 34. And from that perspective, as long and samey as 80 is through Nebraska, I find a considerable larger diversity across Nebraska’s landscape than Iowa. Now that may not all be good, depending on how you look at it. You have Halsey Forest, and you have the Ft Robinson area as well as the Niobrara river areas that are beautiful. Sand hills and clay hills, but in Iowa I don’t get that sense. Iowa is greener than Nebraska, the west gets a bit dusty and the badlands are almost desert.

Having threaded that needle though, I have to say since coming to live in West Virginia, I’ve been hard-presses to find very many places that are more beautiful over so much of the land. I don’t have much to add, I guess other than maybe I’d say Missouri in terms of beautiful land throughout is up there for the area I’m from. I love the rolling hills and trees there.
jim brown
2019-09-11 18:11:15 UTC
where is your part of the country btw?
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 19:33:08 UTC
Memphis
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-11 20:24:14 UTC
Post by J***@protonmail.com
Memphis
Ever fed the pigeons and squirrels at Overton Park?

Remember when there were no bypasses around Memphis?

Ever deliver the Commercial Appeal? I did in Greenville MS.

Hugh
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-13 05:31:52 UTC
Hugh,

I live very close to Overton park in a house older than you. The Robilio family were the original owners. I don’t feed the squirrels and birds, but my dog loves to chase after them. There’s an amphitheater in Overton park called The Shell. That was where Elvis had his first public performance opening up for Slim Whitman. The Shell fell on some hard times but it’s been brought back to life, and hosts a free summer concert series. it’s a great place for the neighborhood families with young kids to hear some free live music, while the parents eat and drink, and the kids find their spot in the park to play ball or maybe do some stuff their parents don’t want to know about.

I moved here when I was 31 and already had a job lined up so I never had to deliver papers.

The commercial appeal has been bought out by a national chain and is effectively a Nashville paper that covers memphis.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-09 16:04:25 UTC
On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:16:35 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
Post by Some dued
I was stationed in Millington just outside of Memphis for 6 months, I thought Memphis was a bit of a dump with some neat areas. Millington is the Monarch of dumps.
I was stationed at Millington in May 1946 after taking the exams for
the Naval Academy. I was a S 1/c and I had been to Memphis numerous
times before so I enjoyed the short stay compared to Charleston.

I went back to purchase officer uniforms in 1951.

Hugh