If you're volleyball curious
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-04 22:41:08 UTC
and you're wondering wtf I'm always prattling about, then you're in luck - 3 top 11 matchups on national networks tonight and tomorrow

#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7

Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7

Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8

All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.

BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Frisbee®
I'll be watching them hawt tall long-legged Gator wimmins, even if they do get their sweet asses kicked.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-05 01:28:08 UTC
Stanford was super impressive tonight - yikes. Plummer was not messing around
jim brown
So how long do three games take? I watched the local news the other day and saw U south Dakota was in ames for a match and they lost in three strait. I just wondered if that was worth their travel effort. Seems to me they had about 8 hours of travel to play for 45 minutes.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-05 02:15:11 UTC
Really depends - The Stanford sweep was about an hour and a half - Texas just swept Minnie - but it took over 2 hours. I've seen 5 setters go well over 3 hours. And yeah - on the short side - it can be over in 45
Ted Heise
2019-09-06 11:55:59 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on
the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette
also on FS1 at 8
Watched the first hour of this last might, and recorded the rest.
The Badgers looked pretty darn good for so early in the season.
The advantage in blocking was substantial; Marquette was pretty
ineffective on this aspect of the game. WHat kind of height
advantage did UW have, 5 inches on average in the front?

I think you're returning almost the entire team from a squad that
was outstanding last year? Yikes! Seems Wisconsin should be
ranked higher.
Post by jim brown
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State
before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2
Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
So how long do three games take? I watched the local news the
other day and saw U south Dakota was in ames for a match and
they lost in three strait. I just wondered if that was worth
their travel effort. Seems to me they had about 8 hours of
travel to play for 45 minutes.
Really depends - The Stanford sweep was about an hour and a
half - Texas just swept Minnie - but it took over 2 hours.
Yeah, that UT-Minn game was fierce. Sets 2 and 3 both went extra.
Unbelieveable that the Gophers were 0-14 in set point
opportunities. Zero out of 14!

With having to replace Seliger-Swenson, I think they are ranked
too high.

Nebraska looked rough last weekend, but Creighton is pretty good
and always plays them tough. Cornhuskers looked better against
UCLA.
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Ted Heise
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
We watched the first two sets of MN-UT last night--quite a
dogfight, especially set 2. Looked to me as if there were empty
seats?
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before
traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a
rematch of last year's MNC game.
Lovin me some volleyball, so glad the season has started!
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
We watched the first two sets of MN-UT last night--quite a
dogfight, especially set 2. Looked to me as if there were empty
seats?
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before
traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a
rematch of last year's MNC game.
Lovin me some volleyball, so glad the season has started!
What a crazy season this had been so far - if you had told me Illinois and Minnie would have two losses and the Badgers getting reverse swept at home - twice, I'd have laughed.

Top ten in total turmoil right now - except Stanford - and Texath gave them everything they wanted at Maples today. Just nuts.

Badgers got some work to do - lost only one starter - but adding in 2 d players to the rotation and their service return is awful.

Was in Mke today to watch Baylor v Marquette after seeing Baylor roll Bucky - tell you what, that Baylor team can play some ball - tall, strong and some great D - they're gonna cause issues in the Big xII this year.

Heck, even UNL struggled w/ USD

Love it!
Ted Heise
2019-09-09 13:27:06 UTC
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 17:13:22 -0700 (PDT),
Post by Ted Heise
[...]
After watching the first 2+ sets, I was shocked to see they lost
to Marquette. Retke looked especially slow and awkward at times
on defense. I know she's tall, but even so...
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Heck, even UNL struggled w/ USD
Yep, the Cornhuskers have work to do too. Sun is really stepping
up, but the serve receive needs a *lot* of work. Knuckles is
good, and likely to be great, but Maloney left *big* shoes to
fill. Schwartzenbach and Sweet were not good--hard to tell how
much of that is Hames being limited by the poor passing.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Love it!
Yes indeed, it's looking to be an exciting year. I'm hoping
someone can topple the Tree at some point in the season. Maybe
Nebraska--though the way they played this last weekend makes it
pretty doubtful. At least the match will be at the Bob, and it
will be rocking!
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-05 12:47:29 UTC
Nothing M about that national championship; you get a gold trophy and everything, although I don't think they hand out rings like they do in basketball (I think it's miniature trophies, like in most of the other NCAA sports)
Marty McMahone
How about them Baylor Bears? Going to have to go to a game or two in Waco this year. First time ever in the Top Ten
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-18 01:41:54 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
How about them Baylor Bears? Going to have to go to a game or two in Waco this year. First time ever in the Top Ten
How bout them Bears? Have seen 'em live 3 times now - twice in Madison and once in Mke v Marquette - Yossiana Pressley is a joy to watch play and she interacted with us a bunch. But this is much more than a one player team - Lockin, the setter, is really good and when the middle Stafford is on, they're hard to beat. Should give Texas a run for their money.

BTW - hope you get to watch them this weekend - playing Mizzou and Hawaii who are also undefeated.
michael anderson
2019-09-11 03:03:43 UTC
I actually do have a volleyball question- why do the colleges do the indoor volleyball and not the outdoor volleyball instead?

I know it's a different sport and vibe, but is it partly a weather thing?

I dunno-I think I'd enjoy the outdoor version beach volleyball better. The women are wearing attractive bikinis and not unattractive sports uniforms that cover up everything with bulky kneepads.

When college volleyball players graduate do some of them try to make it a go on the presumably more commercially successful beach volleyball circuit?

I know that one pair of beach volleyball gals have won multiple gold medals and made a lot of money(misty trainor and the other girl?) but the problem is I didn't find either that attractive....wonder if they were good college players?
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 10:47:02 UTC
Beach volleyball is fairly new to the NCAA, but it’s a different season. U$C won the first 2 championships and UCLA won the last 2. They are pretty different sports and the skills don’t always translate well.
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-11 14:43:10 UTC
Post by michael anderson
I actually do have a volleyball question- why do the colleges do the indoor volleyball and not the outdoor volleyball instead?
As already answered, beach volleyball is played in the spring. I'm surprised you don't know more about it; the NCAA Championships are always held in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

A few notes about it:

* The NCAA sponsors only women's beach volleyball. There may be a "national collegiate men's beach volleyball" championship somewhere, but it's not an NCAA sport (the way there's an NCAA women's rowing championship and a "non-NCAA" men's rowing championship). Why, yes, having to balance men's and women's sports in light of the fact that pretty much every FBS football team has 100 players, all of whom are men, does have something to do with that.

* Most versions of women's beach volleyball allow bikini uniforms. The NCAA does not; when a player is in a standing position on the ground, no part of the body between the uniform top and bottom may be exposed. This is pretty much the First Thing In The NCAA Rulebook (or it would be if there was an NCAA Beach Volleyball Rulebook).

* "Why is it called 'beach' volleyball when half of the schools are nowhere near a beach?" In fact, the NCAA wanted to call it "sand volleyball" (as I like to say, "Where's the beach in Oklahoma City?"), but FIVB (the international volleyball federation) wanted a single name for it.

* In Division I, anyone on scholarship who plays both indoor and beach volleyball has to be counted as an indoor player.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-18 01:46:59 UTC
Post by michael anderson
I actually do have a volleyball question- why do the colleges do the indoor volleyball and not the outdoor volleyball instead?
I know it's a different sport and vibe, but is it partly a weather thing?
I dunno-I think I'd enjoy the outdoor version beach volleyball better. The women are wearing attractive bikinis and not unattractive sports uniforms that cover up everything with bulky kneepads.
When college volleyball players graduate do some of them try to make it a go on the presumably more commercially successful beach volleyball circuit?
I know that one pair of beach volleyball gals have won multiple gold medals and made a lot of money(misty trainor and the other girl?) but the problem is I didn't find either that attractive....wonder if they were good college players?
Indoor/outdoor are very different games requiring some different skills sets - and yes, the weather matters - you can play indoor in the Fall, but you don't want to play outdoors up north during Spring even - that's why southern and cali teams dominate while northern teams do better indoors

The indoor game - you need to see and Oregon game - holy crap - their shorts are sooooo tiny it's amazing. College outdoors actually wears looser shorts than indoors - it's the pros who wear the bikinis.

There are thriving indoor leagues all over Europe - the Badgers have at least 4 alums playing overseas right now - there's also the Olympic development team. Only one Badger I know of, Shelia Shaw, is currently playing pro outdoors

Becoming a thing for indoor players to do a grad transfer after 4 years to one year of beach - some transition well, some don't.

And yes, the top beach players were universally top level indoor players - not all indoor players can play beach, but all beach players were great indoors.
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-18 03:03:00 UTC
Would that many schools stop someone from transferring after 4 years of indoor even if they didn't have a degree yet? In volleyball, everybody gets one "free" transfer without having to sit a year if the school they're leaving gives its permission.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-19 00:03:19 UTC
Highly doubtful any would - more the other way, that players are finding a way to play an extra year - but transfer to do so
michael anderson
2019-09-19 00:32:43 UTC
Jon I'm going to ask you a question and if the answer is what I am fearful it will be, I want you to lie to me and tell me something else: in the last 12 months, have you watched(counting in person and tv) more college volleyball or college football?
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-19 02:27:29 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Jon I'm going to ask you a question and if the answer is what I am fearful it will be, I want you to lie to me and tell me something else: in the last 12 months, have you watched(counting in person and tv) more college volleyball or college football?
In person? Easily VB - I have season tickets and they play more games.

Overall games? Probably equal
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-19 01:41:42 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Becoming a thing for indoor players to do a grad transfer after 4 years to one year of beach - some transition well, some don't.
Would that many schools stop someone from transferring after 4 years of indoor even if they didn't have a degree yet? In volleyball, everybody gets one "free" transfer without having to sit a year if the school they're leaving gives its permission.
Highly doubtful any would - more the other way, that players are finding a way to play an extra year - but transfer to do so
You can play four years of indoor and then one year of beach, even at the same school (you are limited to four seasons "per sport," and five years total - the five years includes redshirt). I was about to ask why they would transfer, but then I realized - they probably go to the 271 Division I schools that have indoor VB but don't have beach.

My point was, why would they necessarily be graduate transfers (and I still say that you can't just flash a diploma as a "transfer without sitting out a year" card - that is, unless the school withdraws your scholarship)? In football, basketball (men's and women's), baseball, and men's ice hockey, you would need something like this to avoid the sit-out period, but not in anything else.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-19 02:30:08 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
[...]
Not sure they "have" to be - it's just that's what they've been. VB usually has high graduation rates - a 4 year player would almost certainly have graduated.

The big transfer pattern has been from northern schools to southern - UW has sent players to Cal Poly, LSU and South Carolina, for example - and you're correct - it's b/c those schools don't have beach
Futbol Phan
2019-09-11 05:44:10 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Some seemingly intelligent discussion of the upcoming season. WARNING: CONTAINS DATA!!!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stanford-volleyball-looks-unstoppable-but-challengers-are-lurking/
Ted Heise
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State
before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers
in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Some seemingly intelligent discussion of the upcoming season.
WARNING: CONTAINS DATA!!!
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stanford-volleyball-looks-unstoppable-but-challengers-are-lurking/
Pretty good analysis.

In my opinion, Minnesota was ranked too high (have to replace a
superb setter), and Wisconsin too low (returning all but one
starter from last year). Nebraska may be ranked too high, but
time will tell.
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
[...]
Not too bad at all - despite leaving out Baylor

Minne has clearly settled down - I'll chalk up their early losses to adjusting to life after SSS - Miller's won B1g setter of the week the past two weeks and Morgan Taylor is stepping up in the middle bigly. Still not sold on Pittman, but with those hitters, she's not needed much.

Bucky struggled with service return b/c they're trying to work in two new d players into an expanded ten person rotation If the hitters can adjust to not going 6 rotations and the service return tightens up, they'll be just fine. Oh - and watch for them to run to 6-2 this year - Hilley, despite being a 2 time all-american setter, is also a fantastic outside hitter - and having 3 hitters up front at all times would be a Good Thing.

Stanford is Stanford - altho one thing I'm noticing is that they're vulnerable to a strong middle attack - and if Fitzmorris is having an off night, they can be beat - as Minnie showed and a not at full strength Tejas almost showed. Something to watch moving forward.
Ted Heise
2019-09-18 15:49:56 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
[...]
Yeh, Minnie will need their SSS replacment to settle in quickly.
Agree about Pittman.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Bucky struggled with service return b/c they're trying to work
in two new d players into an expanded ten person rotation If
the hitters can adjust to not going 6 rotations and the service
return tightens up, they'll be just fine. Oh - and watch for
them to run to 6-2 this year - Hilley, despite being a 2 time
all-american setter, is also a fantastic outside hitter - and
having 3 hitters up front at all times would be a Good Thing.
Yeah, I'm really expecting the Badgers to be strong this year.
Wouldn't surprise me to see them take the B1G.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Stanford is Stanford - altho one thing I'm noticing is that
they're vulnerable to a strong middle attack - and if Fitzmorris
is having an off night, they can be beat - as Minnie showed and
a not at full strength Tejas almost showed. Something to watch
moving forward.
Good to know. Here's hoping Stivrins has the monster night she is
very capable of. Schwartzenbach is mildly improved, but need to
bring it with more gumption. Seems they burned Zuhn's redshirt
option, so maybe she can play a role too.
2019-09-18 01:58:42 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Couple more Big Games this week

#1 Nebraska hosts #2 Stanford Wednesday night on BTN - all sorts of plot twists and background to this game - they met for the title last year and UNL is still pissed that Stanford wrote some crap about them on their whiteboard. The Devaney Center will be sold out and extremely vocal - should be a helluva match - esp since Stanford's coming off a loss to Minnesota and is pissed off right now.

Thursday on FS1 you can watch Wisconsin host Washington in a top ten matchup. Two very good teams, both highly capable of reaching the Final Four - both working on a few things during the OOC portion of the sked And yes, I'll be there - Badger endline during odd number centers, center court, up a row or two.

One great thing about VB, is the huge number of top games preseason - Stanford, for example, will play 6 teams ranked in the top 10 - before conference play even starts. Every week brings match ups like this week's above games as well as #4 Penn State doing a home and home with #6 Pitt. Great stuff.

Wednesday night is volleyball night on BTN - the SECN and PacN also show games with great regularity. Enjoy!
Ted Heise
#1 Nebraska hosts #2 Stanford Wednesday night on BTN - all
sorts of plot twists and background to this game - they met for
some crap about them on their whiteboard. The Devaney Center
will be sold out and extremely vocal - should be a helluva
match - esp since Stanford's coming off a loss to Minnesota and
is pissed off right now.
Yeah, I have some mild concern the Cornhuskers may get outmatched.
They are awfulkly young, and have shown that so far. If they can
stay focused and playto their ability, they should give Stanford a
run for their money. Having Nebraska be the ones to bump Stanford
out of the number one ranking won't help UNL either.

You're right about the Bob, though--it'll be rocking. Nebraska
fans are *very* supportive; for example, over 250 consecutive sold
out matches. At some point they will pass the sellout streak
number at Memorial Stadium (assuming it continues), just because
they play more times per year.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Thursday on FS1 you can watch Wisconsin host Washington in a
top ten matchup. Two very good teams, both highly capable of
reaching the Final Four - both working on a few things during
the OOC portion of the sked And yes, I'll be there - Badger
endline during odd number centers, center court, up a row or
two.
One great thing about VB, is the huge number of top games
preseason - Stanford, for example, will play 6 teams ranked in
the top 10 - before conference play even starts. Every week
brings match ups like this week's above games as well as #4
Penn State doing a home and home with #6 Pitt. Great stuff.
Wednesday night is volleyball night on BTN - the SECN and PacN
also show games with great regularity. Enjoy!
These are great overviews of what's availble--much appreciated!
#1 Nebraska hosts #2 Stanford Wednesday night on BTN - all
[...]
Heckuva match tonight - UNL hung for a while, but man, Stanford is really good. Shocked that Stanford's middles outplayed UNL's - wtf did Stivrins go? Both teams played terrific D and UNL was really good out of system - but out of system far too often. Liked what I saw out of both Kipp and Kubik as freshmen.

Big difference? No Foecke - Lexi Sun is not stepping up - at least so far.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
#1 Nebraska hosts #2 Stanford Wednesday night on BTN - all
[...]
BTW - did you see Rice took down the 'Horns? Whoa....Baylor #3? But they get undefeated Hawaii and undefeated Mizzou this weekend

This has been a terrific preseason
Ted Heise
#1 Nebraska hosts #2 Stanford Wednesday night on BTN -
all sorts of plot twists and background to this game -
they met for the title last year and UNL is still pissed
that Stanford wrote some crap about them on their
whiteboard. The Devaney Center will be sold out and
extremely vocal - should be a helluva match - esp since
Stanford's coming off a loss to Minnesota and is pissed
off right now.
Yeah, I have some mild concern the Cornhuskers may get
outmatched. They are awfulkly young, and have shown that so
far.
Heckuva match tonight - UNL hung for a while, but man,
Stanford is really good.
No doubt, a terrific match--but I had hoped for a little better
showing by Nebraska. The outcome was not a big surprise, though.
Plummer was just unstoppable
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
...Shocked that Stanford's middles outplayed UNL's - wtf did
Stivrins go?
UNL passing didn't give Hames the opportunity to mix up her
setting very well; when she could set Stivrins, Stanford had an
answer to her.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Both teams played terrific D and UNL was really good out of
system - but out of system far too often. Liked what I saw
out of both Kipp and Kubik as freshmen.
Big difference? No Foecke - Lexi Sun is not stepping up - at least so far.
Agree about Kipp and Kubik, they each made a great showing. Sun
looked awesome last weekend, not sure why she wasn't up to the
task last night. Maybe no longer being in her SoCal home area had
an effect, but I think it was more the reduced options in setting
for much of the time.

Once Stanford cranked up the blocking midway through set three,
you could just sense the contest was over. I think that, more
than anything, really killed the UNL player spirit.
#3? But they get undefeated Hawaii and undefeated Mizzou this
weekend
This has been a terrific preseason
Did not see it. I'm gearing up to leave on Saturday for a week in
China, followed by a week in Europe. If things go well, I may get
to stream a match or two while travelling, but I'm not optimistic.
Helluva time to be out of the country. Next year, no travel
during VB season, dammit!
2019-09-24 00:45:37 UTC
Post by Ted Heise
On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 19:39:29 -0700 (PDT),
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Heckuva match tonight - UNL hung for a while, but man,
Stanford is really good.
No doubt, a terrific match--but I had hoped for a little better
showing by Nebraska. The outcome was not a big surprise, though.
Plummer was just unstoppable
And then BYU gets em at Maples? What a crazy preseason this has been
Post by Ted Heise
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
...Shocked that Stanford's middles outplayed UNL's - wtf did
Stivrins go?
UNL passing didn't give Hames the opportunity to mix up her
setting very well; when she could set Stivrins, Stanford had an
answer to her.
Bucky is really struggling with passing right now - it's embarrassing
#3? But they get undefeated Hawaii and undefeated Mizzou this
weekend
This has been a terrific preseason
Did not see it. I'm gearing up to leave on Saturday for a week in
China, followed by a week in Europe. If things go well, I may get
to stream a match or two while travelling, but I'm not optimistic.
Helluva time to be out of the country. Next year, no travel
during VB season, dammit!
Oh man, you've missed some great matches - Pitt swept Penn State - at rec hall! First non-con sweep there since 87....then PSU returned the favor in 5 - naturally extras - a couple days later. Pitt's seriously legit.

But Baylor's the story - somehow ranked only #2 - after sweeping Hawaii and Mizzou - have only lost two sets so far this year - why Stanford's 1 is beyond me.

This week is about the Pac - Stanford hosts both undefeated (!) Cal and surging Washington. Oh and Purdue comes to Madison to face an angry and confused Bucky
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-24 15:06:01 UTC
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
This week is about the Pac - Stanford hosts both undefeated (!) Cal
Not just undefeated - nobody has taken them to 5 sets yet.
Okay, the schedule is not exactly loaded with powerhouses:
at Colorado State
Oklahoma (at Colorado State)
Chicago (at Colorado State)
at UC-Irvine
North Carolina (at Irvine)
UNLV (at Irvine)
at North Dakota State
Buffalo (at North Dakota State)
St. Mary's (home-and-home sweep)

Meanwhile, Cal State-East Bay is off to a 1-9 start. Serves it right for not offering my niece even a partial.
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-27 13:06:35 UTC
Actually, that game was in Berkeley - and Stanford won in 4
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-29 11:58:19 UTC
You're correct - totally misread the sked - Cal acquitted themselves quite well - darn near won the 3rd too
unclejr
2019-09-19 13:34:45 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Is USC going to be any good this season?

If not, I'm not that interested in the sport (this season). If so, I'm a huge, huge volleyball fan (this season).