If you're volleyball curious
Add Reply
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-04 22:41:08 UTC
and you're wondering wtf I'm always prattling about, then you're in luck - 3 top 11 matchups on national networks tonight and tomorrow

#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7

Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7

Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8

All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.

BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Frisbee®
2019-09-04 23:32:43 UTC
I'll be watching them hawt tall long-legged Gator wimmins, even if they do get their sweet asses kicked.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-05 01:28:08 UTC
Stanford was super impressive tonight - yikes. Plummer was not messing around
jim brown
2019-09-05 01:38:11 UTC
So how long do three games take? I watched the local news the other day and saw U south Dakota was in ames for a match and they lost in three strait. I just wondered if that was worth their travel effort. Seems to me they had about 8 hours of travel to play for 45 minutes.
The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
2019-09-05 02:15:11 UTC
Really depends - The Stanford sweep was about an hour and a half - Texas just swept Minnie - but it took over 2 hours. I've seen 5 setters go well over 3 hours. And yeah - on the short side - it can be over in 45
Ted Heise
2019-09-06 11:55:59 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on
the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette
also on FS1 at 8
Watched the first hour of this last might, and recorded the rest.
The Badgers looked pretty darn good for so early in the season.
The advantage in blocking was substantial; Marquette was pretty
ineffective on this aspect of the game. WHat kind of height
advantage did UW have, 5 inches on average in the front?

I think you're returning almost the entire team from a squad that
was outstanding last year? Yikes! Seems Wisconsin should be
ranked higher.
Post by jim brown
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State
before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2
Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
So how long do three games take? I watched the local news the
other day and saw U south Dakota was in ames for a match and
they lost in three strait. I just wondered if that was worth
their travel effort. Seems to me they had about 8 hours of
travel to play for 45 minutes.
Really depends - The Stanford sweep was about an hour and a
half - Texas just swept Minnie - but it took over 2 hours.
Yeah, that UT-Minn game was fierce. Sets 2 and 3 both went extra.
Unbelieveable that the Gophers were 0-14 in set point
opportunities. Zero out of 14!

With having to replace Seliger-Swenson, I think they are ranked
too high.

Nebraska looked rough last weekend, but Creighton is pretty good
and always plays them tough. Cornhuskers looked better against
UCLA.
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
Ted Heise
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
We watched the first two sets of MN-UT last night--quite a
dogfight, especially set 2. Looked to me as if there were empty
seats?
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before
traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a
rematch of last year's MNC game.
Lovin me some volleyball, so glad the season has started!
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
We watched the first two sets of MN-UT last night--quite a
dogfight, especially set 2. Looked to me as if there were empty
seats?
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before
traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a
rematch of last year's MNC game.
Lovin me some volleyball, so glad the season has started!
What a crazy season this had been so far - if you had told me Illinois and Minnie would have two losses and the Badgers getting reverse swept at home - twice, I'd have laughed.

Top ten in total turmoil right now - except Stanford - and Texath gave them everything they wanted at Maples today. Just nuts.

Badgers got some work to do - lost only one starter - but adding in 2 d players to the rotation and their service return is awful.

Was in Mke today to watch Baylor v Marquette after seeing Baylor roll Bucky - tell you what, that Baylor team can play some ball - tall, strong and some great D - they're gonna cause issues in the Big xII this year.

Heck, even UNL struggled w/ USD

Love it!
Ted Heise
2019-09-09 13:27:06 UTC
On Sun, 8 Sep 2019 17:13:22 -0700 (PDT),
Post by Ted Heise
[...]
After watching the first 2+ sets, I was shocked to see they lost
to Marquette. Retke looked especially slow and awkward at times
on defense. I know she's tall, but even so...
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Heck, even UNL struggled w/ USD
Yep, the Cornhuskers have work to do too. Sun is really stepping
up, but the serve receive needs a *lot* of work. Knuckles is
good, and likely to be great, but Maloney left *big* shoes to
fill. Schwartzenbach and Sweet were not good--hard to tell how
much of that is Hames being limited by the poor passing.
Post by The Cheesehusker, Trade Warrior
Love it!
Yes indeed, it's looking to be an exciting year. I'm hoping
someone can topple the Tree at some point in the season. Maybe
Nebraska--though the way they played this last weekend makes it
pretty doubtful. At least the match will be at the Bob, and it
will be rocking!
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-05 12:47:29 UTC
Nothing M about that national championship; you get a gold trophy and everything, although I don't think they hand out rings like they do in basketball (I think it's miniature trophies, like in most of the other NCAA sports)
Marty McMahone
2019-09-11 02:50:22 UTC
How about them Baylor Bears? Going to have to go to a game or two in Waco this year. First time ever in the Top Ten
michael anderson
2019-09-11 03:03:43 UTC
I actually do have a volleyball question- why do the colleges do the indoor volleyball and not the outdoor volleyball instead?

I know it's a different sport and vibe, but is it partly a weather thing?

I dunno-I think I'd enjoy the outdoor version beach volleyball better. The women are wearing attractive bikinis and not unattractive sports uniforms that cover up everything with bulky kneepads.

When college volleyball players graduate do some of them try to make it a go on the presumably more commercially successful beach volleyball circuit?

I know that one pair of beach volleyball gals have won multiple gold medals and made a lot of money(misty trainor and the other girl?) but the problem is I didn't find either that attractive....wonder if they were good college players?
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 10:47:02 UTC
Beach volleyball is fairly new to the NCAA, but it’s a different season. U$C won the first 2 championships and UCLA won the last 2. They are pretty different sports and the skills don’t always translate well.
The NOTBCS Guy
2019-09-11 14:43:10 UTC
Post by michael anderson
I actually do have a volleyball question- why do the colleges do the indoor volleyball and not the outdoor volleyball instead?
As already answered, beach volleyball is played in the spring. I'm surprised you don't know more about it; the NCAA Championships are always held in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

A few notes about it:

* The NCAA sponsors only women's beach volleyball. There may be a "national collegiate men's beach volleyball" championship somewhere, but it's not an NCAA sport (the way there's an NCAA women's rowing championship and a "non-NCAA" men's rowing championship). Why, yes, having to balance men's and women's sports in light of the fact that pretty much every FBS football team has 100 players, all of whom are men, does have something to do with that.

* Most versions of women's beach volleyball allow bikini uniforms. The NCAA does not; when a player is in a standing position on the ground, no part of the body between the uniform top and bottom may be exposed. This is pretty much the First Thing In The NCAA Rulebook (or it would be if there was an NCAA Beach Volleyball Rulebook).

* "Why is it called 'beach' volleyball when half of the schools are nowhere near a beach?" In fact, the NCAA wanted to call it "sand volleyball" (as I like to say, "Where's the beach in Oklahoma City?"), but FIVB (the international volleyball federation) wanted a single name for it.

* In Division I, anyone on scholarship who plays both indoor and beach volleyball has to be counted as an indoor player.
Futbol Phan
2019-09-11 05:44:10 UTC
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Some seemingly intelligent discussion of the upcoming season. WARNING: CONTAINS DATA!!!

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stanford-volleyball-looks-unstoppable-but-challengers-are-lurking/
Ted Heise
#1 Stanford defending champion is at #7 Florida tonight on the SEC network at 7
Also tonight, #8 Minnesota is at #3 Tejas on FS1 at 7
Tomorrow, my beloved #4 Badgers are hosting #11 Marquette also on FS1 at 8
All 3 games will have full houses and rowdy crowds - should be good watching.
BTW, this sort of slate is not uncommon - next week, for
example, Stanford plays both Minnesota and #6 Penn State
before traveling to Lincoln on the 18th to face the #2 Huskers
in a rematch of last year's MNC game.
Some seemingly intelligent discussion of the upcoming season.
WARNING: CONTAINS DATA!!!
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stanford-volleyball-looks-unstoppable-but-challengers-are-lurking/
Pretty good analysis.

In my opinion, Minnesota was ranked too high (have to replace a
superb setter), and Wisconsin too low (returning all but one
starter from last year). Nebraska may be ranked too high, but
time will tell.
--
Ted Heise <***@panix.com> West Lafayette, IN, USA