Side effect of the new "no automatic one-year sit-out for transfers" rule
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-10-08 22:55:26 UTC
Because of the effect of the new transfer rule, the NCAA is allowing schools to sign up to seven additional players, even if this would exceed the "first-time scholarship" limit, to replace players who transfer after whichever of the end of their school's fall term or 12/15 (the start of the early National Letter of Intent signing period) comes first. Note that the overall scholarship limit of 85 for each team still applies.
RoddyMcCorley
2021-10-09 05:22:18 UTC
Post by The NOTBCS Guy
Because of the effect of the new transfer rule, the NCAA is allowing schools to sign up to seven additional players, even if this would exceed the "first-time scholarship" limit, to replace players who transfer after whichever of the end of their school's fall term or 12/15 (the start of the early National Letter of Intent signing period) comes first. Note that the overall scholarship limit of 85 for each team still applies.
Its the Alabama rule. So Saban can stock up on more 5 star recruits.
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In
practice, there is." Ruben Goldberg
jimbr...@yahoo.com
2021-10-09 13:13:28 UTC
I understand why Bama does it, but I don't understand why those recruits do it. There are 100 other schools that will put them in the Pros just as well, maybe even better as they will probably get substantially more playing time.
The NOTBCS Guy
2021-10-09 15:09:36 UTC
That's just it - when they get a scholarship at, say, Alabama, only to discover that they're so far down on the depth chart that they'll hardly see any playing time and then transfer, it lets Saban replace them without worrying about the 25 freshmen/juco-transfer limit. Of course, it works both ways; if a player on another team suddenly appears on a better school's radar and transfers, the lesser school gets a free replacement as well.
Michael Falkner
2021-10-09 22:29:27 UTC
I understand why Bama does it, but I don't understand why those recruits do it. There are 100 other schools that will put them in the Pros just as well, maybe even better as they will probably get substantially more playing time.
Why do you think the best players want to go to Bama?

Here's the recruiting pitch, you can figure it out for yourself: "Play with the best, or go down like the rest."

It's not hard at all, and it's why college football, as you know it now, is dead -- damn soon.

Mike
jimbr...@yahoo.com
Many of them never get to play, you rsfcking moran. Iowa, for instance, puts tons of players into the NFL. They led the nation in players in the NFL a few years ago. Right now they appear to be 7th behind Bama, tOSU, LSU, Georgia, ND and clempsun. I'm not saying any of them want to play in corn country, but there are literally dozens of schools that have more than 10 players in the NFL right now, including schools like temple, NC state, Utah, pitt, BC, et cetera.
michael anderson
2021-10-11 14:13:23 UTC
Post by Michael Falkner
[...]
because when you are a top high school recruit, there are two things at work here:

1) you don't envision yourself having to struggle to get playing time. Yes in the back of your head you know there are going to be a bunch of other top recruits as well at alabama or georgia, but all your athletic life you've towered over others so you just don't percieve that as being an issue. Even when in some cases it turns out to be.

2) While raw numbers of players in the nfl are meaningful, players see all the 1st round picks out of bama and say "that's what I want
to be". Yes Iowa may have 60% of the numbers of total NFL players as Bama(and I don't know what the actual number is), but what's the first round relative percentage? I know Iowa has had a couple, but Bama seems to average 4 per year which is insane. So right or wrong, these top recruits all perceive their goals to be becoming a 1st round pick and cash a huge signing bonus and have a very long career, not
just make a roster for a few years(which is obviously a huge accomplishment too).

And I think for the second point, perhaps an argument could be made that by getting the exposure of going to Bama it helps vault some
players into the first round who if they had gone to a lesser program may have been second or third rounders. I'm not sure....just saying its a possibility.