President Donnie is actually self-actualized!
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-03 06:33:14 UTC
https://is.gd/X4fUpU

The most well known high IQ society is Mensa. To join Mensa one must
score in the top 2% of a standardized IQ test. That really isn’t all
that outstanding. One out of 50 people have IQs high enough to join
Mensa.

Numerical IQ scores are not an accurate indicator of intelligence. For
instance a score of 72 on the U.S. Navy GCT test is about equal to score
of 150 on the WAIS (Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale). Percentile IQ
scores are a more informative measurement.

Way back during the 2004 presidential election I wrote an article that
shook up the major news networks and the New York Times. I was able to
document that George Bush had a higher IQ score and better grades than
John Kerry. I belong to one of those high IQ societies, and I am a
psychotherapist, so I have a credible background to evaluate Mr. Trump,
even though my opinions are speculative.

Please keep in mind that IQ is a measure of intellect not character. I
will comment on Donald Trump’s character later in this article.

Donald Trump graduated from the Wharton School at the University of
Pennsylvania in 1968, with a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and
anthropology. Mensa doesn't accept SAT scores from after 1994. However
Mr Trump was a student at Wharton when it was possible to derive an
accurate IQ core from known SAT scores. Given the usual requirements
for admission to a top school like Wharton, I estimate that Mr. Trump has
a 156 IQ at the minimum.

The standard description of this level of intelligence is “Genius –
Exception intellectual ability and capable of looking beyond known
facts.” However, the percentile rating is more revealing than the raw
score. A 156 IQ is at the 99.9905490555 percentile. That means that
Donald Trump is smarter than 99.99 percent of the people on planet
earth. Not only does Trump qualify for membership in Mensa but he could
join the Triple Nine Society.

People with this kind of intellectual ability can do things with their
minds that can’t even be described to ordinary people. Remember that
quote from the above paragraph, “capable of looking beyond known facts?”
These highly intelligent minds process and organize data into solutions
and insights, and the individual person is not even consciously aware of
the process. The cartoon light bulb that goes on over someone’s head
happens to people like Mr. Trump on a regular basis. I would not be
surprised if Mr Trump’s IQ actually measures significantly higher than
the minimum estimate mentioned above.

Enough about how smart Mr. Trump is. I was motivated to write this
article because of the personality traits that are revealed in Mr.
Trump’s behavior. His character traits are every bit as fascinating as
his intellect.

Abraham Maslow, the American Psychologist and philosopher best known for
his self-actualization theory of psychology, spent most of his
professional career trying to identify what was right with people, rather
than looking at pathology. Maslow did extensive research to define the
traits of a “self actualized” person. My wife and professional partner
is also a high IQ person. She makes the point that a better term is
“self actualizing,” correctly pointing out that there isn’t state of
personality to be achieved, but rather the individual is in the process
of becoming his best self.
Donald Trump’s observable behavior informs us about the degree to which
he is “self actualizing.” Quote from a Psychology Professor I once had;
“People are not who you think they are. People are not who they think
they are. People are what they do. That is why this is called a
behavioral science”. Forget the labels. They are all misleading. Pay
attention to the behavior.

Here are some examples of the Traits of a Self Actualized Person, from
Maslow’s own research:

· They resist enculturation.
Self-actualizers tend to be nonconformists,since they are inner-directed
people. If a cultural norm is contrary to their personal values, they
simply will not adhere to it.

They are almost always loners, or leaders. They are never joiners. Yup.
That sounds like the “Donald” to me!
· They are creative.
Maslow found this trait in all of the self-actualizers.
“This is a universal characteristic of all the people studied or
observed. There is no exception. This creativeness appears in some of
our subjects not in the usual forms of writing books, composing music, or
producing artistic objects … It is as if this special type of
creativeness being an expression of healthy personality is projected out
upon the world, or touches whatever activity the person is engaged in.
In this sense there can be creative shoemakers or carpenters or clerks.
This creativity comes from the fact that self-actualizers are more open
to experience and more spontaneous in their feelings.”

Yes, Donald is always coming up with new creative ways of seeing things
differently and solving problems.

· They are autonomous and therefore tend to be independent of their
environment.
“Because self-actualizers are B-motivated rather than D-motivated, they
are more dependent on their own inner world than on the outer world.
Deficiency motivated people must have other people available since most
of their main need gratifications (love safety. respect, prestige,
belongingness) can come only from other human beings. But growth
motivated [B-motivated] people may actually be hampered by others. The
determinants of satisfaction, and of the good life, are for them inner &
individual, and not social. They have become strong enough to be
independent of the good opinion of other people, or even of their
affection. The honors, the status, the rewards, the popularity, the
prestige and the loveothers can bestow must have become less important
than self-development and inner growth.”

Donald frequently says that he doesn’t plan what he is going to say. It
is obvious that his strategy is to simply be authentic.

· They have a strong ethical sense.
Although their notions of right and wrong are often unconventional, self-
actualizers, nonetheless almost always know the ethical implications of
their own actions.

Right and wrong (good and evil) are part of every decision Donald makes.

· They tend to accept democratic values.
Self-actualizers do not respond to individuals on the basis of race,
status or religion. They can be and are friendly with anyone of suitable
character regardless of class, education, political belief, race or
color. As a matter of fact, it often seems as if they are not even aware
of these differences,which are for the average person so obvious and
important.

Donald is as likely to treat his chauffeur or secretary as equitably as
CEOs or politicians.

· They tend to identify with all of mankind.
The concerns that self-actualizers have for other people do not extend
only to their friends and family, but to all people in all cultures
throughout the world. This feeling of brotherhood extends also to
individuals who are aggressive, inconsiderate, or otherwise foolish.
Self-actualizers have a genuine desire to help the human race.

Donald consistently shows a universality of concern for all people.

· They exhibit spontaneity, simplicity and naturalness.
Self-actualizers tend to be true to their feelings; what they really feel
they tend to say and/or experience. They do not hide behind a mask, and
do not act in accordance with social roles. They are true to themselves,
speaking candidly and authentically.

One of the traits that makes Donald so popular with voters is that he is
“real.”
~~~~
There are many other observations to be made about Mr. Trump being a
“self actualizing” person. However, let it suffice to observe that
Donald Trump is a brilliant man with a healthy personality. It should be
pointed out that “self-actualizing” people are not what most human
resources departments are looking for. Most executives want those who
will follow the manual and fit into the corporate culture. That does not
describe Donald Trump.

Maybe the voters of America share some of the same biases as executives.
Perhaps what we need is a rebel genius with self actualized traits to be
our President. Lord knows we have tried enough of the other kind of
leader.
Futbol Phan
I have administered easily 1000 intelligence tests in my life. I guarantee you that this author has administered zero. The faulty 'logic' in this article is breathtaking.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-03 16:50:56 UTC
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 09:22:42 -0700 (PDT), Futbol Phan
I have administered easily 1000 intelligence tests in my life. I guarantee=
you that this author has administered zero. The faulty 'logic' in this ar=
ticle is breathtaking.
Two close friends are MENSA members - I'm sure they would agree with
your assessment.

Most people of that caliber are weak in one or more areas (common
sense for example) yet still test very high. One knows geography and
computer programming like he wrote the books - the other can probably
recite the Bible from memory. Don't play chess with them - but they
wouldn't want to play Bridge with me if my partner was still alive.
Trivial Pursuit would be interesting - or would have been some years
ago when my recall still worked.

The test is not that difficult (years ago) except for figuring where
all those little turning wheels wind up.

Hugh
Some dued
2016-08-03 18:24:15 UTC
I always hear dumb people like Hugh going on about the elusive and immeasurable "common sense", it must be some really good stuff.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-03 18:49:30 UTC
On Wed, 3 Aug 2016 11:24:15 -0700 (PDT), Some dued
Post by Some dued
I always hear dumb people like Hugh going on about the elusive and immeasurable "common sense", it must be some really good stuff.
I'm not a common sense person. You may be but I was never dipped out
of the toilet by my mother to bring me back to life.

Hugh
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-03 20:02:41 UTC
Post by Some dued
I always hear dumb people like Hugh going on about the elusive and
immeasurable "common sense", it must be some really good stuff.
I'm not a common sense person. You may be but I was never dipped out of
the toilet by my mother to bring me back to life.
Hugh
OLd people have zingers up the wazoo, don't they? Is it a liver spotted
cultural thing?
J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-04 15:45:31 UTC
Post by Some dued
I always hear dumb people like Hugh going on about the elusive and
immeasurable "common sense", it must be some really good stuff.
I'm not a common sense person. You may be but I was never dipped out of
the toilet by my mother to bring me back to life.
Hugh
OLd people have zingers up the wazoo, don't they? Is it a liver spotted
cultural thing?
I have been involved in a number of organizations where people had
some great one-liners. I remember most of them and modify as
necessary.

Hugh
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-03 20:01:48 UTC
Post by J. Hugh Sullivan
[...]
Hugh, I'm not asking for a donation. :-) I just wanted to politely ask
you, and you certainly can refuse to answer, if you ever gave to a
charity that helped poor Appalachian children?
J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-04 15:50:53 UTC
Post by CtrlAltDel
Post by J. Hugh Sullivan
[...]
I donate to a number of charities each year - I don't recall
Appalachian specifically. My mother, and later me, have donated to
Boys Town for at least 70 years (started when I met Father Flanagan
and asked if a priest was allowed to speak to a Methodist in 1943 or
44).

I also contribute to Lakota and Cheyenne groups.

Hugh
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-04 21:42:09 UTC
Post by CtrlAltDel
Post by J. Hugh Sullivan
[...]
:-) That's funny as hell, Hugh. I could envision you asking the priest
that due to your personality in the group. I bet he got a chuckle out of
it. My father was light-hearted and quick-witted also. His priorities
were most assuredly a little different than yours in his life but, he had
that old time optimism and stuff.

I remember him telling me about The Shadow and other radio programs he
listened to when a child, he is a smidgen younger than you. To me, what
he describes as his life growing up was so innocent. Things like being
so revved up to go to the local movie theater in Fairfield and watching
the latest cowboy show.

He would save up money he made from selling rags, Grand-Dad didn't give
him zilch, and would take his sweetheart out to the show when he was only
like 13. He tells that story over and over, it must have really meant
something to him.

I really wish things were that simply and seemingly honest and good
nowadays. Are we all jaded, Hugh, did things use to be simpler, easier,
better, cleaner, nicer, more honest? Or is that just fuzzy memories
mixed with nostalgia and sweet dreaming?
J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-05 13:17:47 UTC
Post by CtrlAltDel
:-) That's funny as hell, Hugh. I could envision you asking the priest
that due to your personality in the group.
Catholics went to the public schools - the boys peed just like we did.
I was friends with Tubertini, Monare, Sarullo, Signa, Oltremari, et
al. - people whose names ended with vowels.

When I saw a guy with his collar on backward I didn't know what to
think. And thinking the first priest I ever noticed was Father
Flanagan (who didn't look like Pat O'Brien) - and he was - defies the
odds.
Post by CtrlAltDel
I bet he got a chuckle out of it.
He did - and we talked for an hour or more between Memphis and Chicago
on the Panama Limited.
Post by CtrlAltDel
My father was light-hearted and quick-witted also. His priorities
were most assuredly a little different than yours in his life but, he had
that old time optimism and stuff.
I doubt that our priorities were much different - just what's best for
us and our kids. But we expected to earn it with our sweat - not the
sweat of others.
Post by CtrlAltDel
I remember him telling me about The Shadow and other radio programs he
listened to when a child, he is a smidgen younger than you. To me, what
he describes as his life growing up was so innocent. Things like being
so revved up to go to the local movie theater in Fairfield and watching
the latest cowboy show.
The cowboy show was on Saturday mornings and I still have the little
gold star they passed out during the Lone Ranger serials on one
Saturday.
Post by CtrlAltDel
He would save up money he made from selling rags, Grand-Dad didn't give
him zilch, and would take his sweetheart out to the show when he was only
like 13. He tells that story over and over, it must have really meant
something to him.
I got 75 cents per week for mowing a yard that is 10 times larger than
the one we pay $25 a week to have mowed now - and that low only
because were were his first customers years ago.
Post by CtrlAltDel
I really wish things were that simply and seemingly honest and good
nowadays. Are we all jaded, Hugh, did things use to be simpler, easier,
better, cleaner, nicer, more honest? Or is that just fuzzy memories
mixed with nostalgia and sweet dreaming?
Yes!

We were pretty happy in our ignorance. We didn't know that we needed
two thumbs to text constantly to be happy. We couldn't think of
anything to protest about. One's reputation was far more important
than his bank account.

Saturday nights in high school were a date, a movie, a fountain
cherry-coke at the drive-in and, if you had been dating a few years, a
very brief kiss good-night.

But I find it easy to be happy in today's complex world.

I'm not sure what level of accomplishment it would take to make one
happy because the need never ends. I've had a lot of successes but I'm
still always looking for one more. It's the continued enjoyment of the
simple things that most often make one happy.

Different times and different strokes for different folks.

Hugh
michael anderson
2016-08-04 17:28:39 UTC
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.

That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial, career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how much more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run into a lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who make less money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-04 21:50:03 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a
doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq
tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.
That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my
formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial,
career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how much
more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run into a
lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who make less
money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
Dumb people got moxie and more social skills than the eerily creepy
college grad that can't communicate properly with folks on the street.
Yeah, okay, you may be technically stupid, Mike. But, that's okay. I
will never ridicule you for not having the same exact skill-set as every
one else on Earth.

You are unique because most people aren't like you and have a higher IQ,
however tested, than 87.
Mercellus Bohren
2016-08-04 21:51:21 UTC
I hate to give you any sort of compliment, ever, (back-handed or not) but your IQ has to be way higher than 87.
CtrlAltDel
2016-08-04 22:40:24 UTC
Post by Mercellus Bohren
Post by michael anderson
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a
doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq
tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.
That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my
formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial,
career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how
much more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run
into a lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who
make less money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
I hate to give you any sort of compliment, ever, (back-handed or not)
but your IQ has to be way higher than 87.
Silly Canadian is confusing smarmy communication skills of a 12 year old
with Mike's intelligence tested levels. How sad. He is a verified idiot
and he confirms that and you wish to argue it with him. Congrats.
Mercellus Bohren
2016-08-05 02:05:43 UTC
Well of course he's an idiot, but come on! 87?
RoddyMcCorley
2016-08-05 03:32:57 UTC
Post by Mercellus Bohren
Post by michael anderson
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.
That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial, career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how much more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run into a lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who make less money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
I hate to give you any sort of compliment, ever, (back-handed or not) but your IQ has to be way higher than 87.
Probably about 90 (on a good day).
--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.
michael anderson
2016-08-05 04:03:06 UTC
Oh I wouldn't want a higher iq....after all the people who supposedly have these 130 iqs make 105k per year and their entire house and land cost less than a third of my lot value alone. No thanks....I'm happy to be 'stupid' hehe
Futbol Phan
2016-08-05 03:56:13 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.
That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial, career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how much more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run into a lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who make less money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
I don't think he has a degree in anything. Here's his profile from the same website:
"
Futbol Phan
2016-08-05 04:01:41 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Futbol- most if what he writes does seem like bs, but if he has a doctoral degree in psychology he has most certainly administered iq tests before and is familiar with psychometrics.
That said, iq testing doesn't really seem to mean much. I think my formal iq was tested at 87, and yet I've done fine from a financial, career, education, etc standpoint. I actually wonder sometimes how much more successful I would be if my iq were not 87 but 77. I've run into a lot of people with iqs supposedly 40 pts higher than mine who make less money than me, didn't go as far in school, etc....
"
Oops: "Rev. Sewell is a member of Mensa, a U.S. Navy Veteran, and a Member of the Association For Intelligence Officers. He is an International Commentator and a member of the Society of Professional Journalists, a frequent commentator on religious and political issues. His articles are published by \"Intellectual Conservative\", \"American Thinker\" and various periodicals. His award winning research on Family issues is published in several languages."

So when he makes a statement like this:
"Given the usual requirements for admission to a top school like Wharton, I estimate that Mr. Trump has a 156 IQ at the minimum. ", I call bullshit.

An IQ of 156 places a person beyond the 99.99th percentile. To suggest that this is a minimum intelligence level among Wharton students is laughable. I wouldn't be surprised if there is not a single Wharton student with that IQ.

As for your measured IQ at 87, I would suggest that you not have thoughts of leaving Alabama-- you'll find it easiest to fit in there;)
RoddyMcCorley
2016-08-05 04:47:43 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Post by michael anderson
[...]
+1
Trump went to Fordham U for two years before transferring to Penn.
Fordham has decent standards for freshmen, but it is not Ivy League. I
would guess that transferring to Penn would be a lot easier than
freshmen admission.

Plus, the old man had money.

Trump's IQ is moot. I want to know where he fits on the autism spectrum.
Obviously, he has something that affects his functioning.

J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-05 13:35:21 UTC
On Fri, 5 Aug 2016 00:47:43 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Trump's IQ is moot. I want to know where he fits on the autism spectrum.
Obviously, he has something that affects his functioning.
There is IQ and there is reality. IMO the two are not the same.

One of my MENSA friends self-taught 14? programming languages yet
doesn't have a high school diploma (entered college before he
graduated) and quit college because he had to take a course in
Catholicism that he could have taught. He has never held a job and he
didn't drive until in his 40s. He probably has not had a dozen dates.
I don't recall his IQ score - but he made a perfect score on the Math
SAT - 800.

I have never tested IQ. But I know I am more than satisfied with my
competitive results in almost any arena. Would it matter now if my IQ
was less than 100? I don't think so.

Harvard grads don't impress me any more than grads from Duke, Vandy
and even those I actually know from Auburn. It's not the school that
matters. But I favor EARNED success.

Hugh
michael anderson
actually where I live now people are ridiculously smart.....the average household income in my city is about 240k, but in this area of the city it's probably more like 450-500k. I'm by far the poorest person on my small block.
Some dued
2016-08-06 04:43:36 UTC
What city has an average household income of 240k?
Ken Olson
2016-08-06 05:01:52 UTC
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
One with a gate.
--
“The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by
parts. … The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.”
- Edmund Burke
d***@gmail.com
On Mars.
RoddyMcCorley
2016-08-06 05:12:58 UTC
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
You listen to Trump long enough and his exaggerations become infective.

J. Hugh Sullivan
2016-08-06 14:52:02 UTC
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 01:12:58 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
You listen to Trump long enough and his exaggerations become infective.
An astute observation where names of leaders of most any political
group could be the donkey awaiting the pinning of the tail a la Cong
Killer Kerry and Benghazi Clinton.

Hugh
michael anderson
2016-08-06 06:55:06 UTC
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
d***@gmail.com
2016-08-06 14:51:46 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
So, that link you found from 2008 doesn't back up your 240k claim.

And wiki says 164k:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook,_Alabama

But, hey, what's a ~50% exaggeration between friends.

Cheers.
michael anderson
2016-08-06 15:16:09 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
So, that link you found from 2008 doesn't back up your 240k claim.
it was also several years ago.....salaries have gone up 10-15% at least since then.
Post by d***@gmail.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook,_Alabama
But, hey, what's a ~50% exaggeration between friends.
wiki notoriously underestimates incomes. they do the same for the other peer cities. That 164k in terms of wiki would place them in the same ballpark in terms of wealthiest cities as the hughely ranking...maybe even a little higher actually.

But there is no way any household with a 164k income is buying a house in my part of the city. Unless they have family money or something. Or they are buying in what is technically within the city limits but nobody would really consider it mountain brook. Im *by far* the lowest earning person in my immediate neighorhood.
Cheers.
Futbol Phan
2016-08-06 17:37:42 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
So, that link you found from 2008 doesn't back up your 240k claim.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook,_Alabama
But, hey, what's a ~50% exaggeration between friends.
Cheers.
It's why average income is misleading and median is typically used.

Warren Buffett made $13,500,000,000 in 2013. In a sample of Warren and 9 homeless people, their average income for 2013 was $1,350,000,000. The median was $0.
michael anderson
2016-08-06 19:17:24 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Post by d***@gmail.com
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
So, that link you found from 2008 doesn't back up your 240k claim.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Brook,_Alabama
But, hey, what's a ~50% exaggeration between friends.
Cheers.
It's why average income is misleading and median is typically used.
Warren Buffett made $13,500,000,000 in 2013. In a sample of Warren and 9 homeless people, their average income for 2013 was $1,350,000,000. The median was $0.
no I get your point....I just think that the numbers wiki uses are not correct. And it doesn't make mountain brook look better or worse in that regard so Im not cherry picking- other peer communities have the same dynamic with their wiki numbers.

I live in the area and know the area, and I know that nobody who makes 140k or whatever is going to buy a house near where I live. They could buy a house in a different area of mountain brook(like off 280 or brookwood forest), but thats not what people mean when they say mountain brook anymore than south beach is the 'deep south'.
Some dued
2016-08-06 22:19:37 UTC
140k/yr + no gambling habit is probably a lot more money than you think.
d***@gmail.com
2016-08-07 17:25:55 UTC
Post by Some dued
140k/yr + no gambling habit is probably a lot more money than you think.
The irony is that Mountain Brook is a desirable community - specifically because you don't need to earn as much to live there.

2nd best suburb in America, according to some list:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ranked-the-50-best-suburbs-in-america-2015-10

But the interesting thing is that if you look at median incomes across the list, MB is arguably the best bang for your buck. Significantly lower median incomes than any of the others in the top ten, but comparable value in terms of all their other measures.

It'd be an attractive choice if you had a remote option and could do the geoarbitrage thing specifically because you could live there on 140k.

Cheers.

Thomas R. Kettler
2016-08-07 16:44:37 UTC
Post by michael anderson
I live in the area and know the area, and I know that nobody who makes 140k
or whatever is going to buy a house near where I live. They could buy a
house in a different area of mountain brook(like off 280 or brookwood
forest), but thats not what people mean when they say mountain brook anymore
than south beach is the 'deep south'.
In fairness, no one that knows you is going to buy a house near where
you live either.
Remove blown from email address to reply.
michael anderson
2016-08-07 17:11:51 UTC
Post by Thomas R. Kettler
Post by michael anderson
I live in the area and know the area, and I know that nobody who makes 140k
or whatever is going to buy a house near where I live. They could buy a
house in a different area of mountain brook(like off 280 or brookwood
forest), but thats not what people mean when they say mountain brook anymore
than south beach is the 'deep south'.
In fairness, no one that knows you is going to buy a house near where
you live either.
well except someone who already has.
Post by Thomas R. Kettler
Remove blown from email address to reply.
RoddyMcCorley
2016-08-07 02:38:33 UTC
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
Not cities; neighborhoods.

michael anderson
2016-08-07 03:12:31 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by michael anderson
Post by Some dued
What city has an average household income of 240k?
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2008/12/mountain_brook_one_of_us_wealt.html
Not cities; neighborhoods.
MB is a city....the article/study specifically set 20k as the minimum pop needed. So yeah that would include some well defined pockets of much larger cities that are distinct from the larger city. But in the case of MB, we are talking about a city whose population is just over 20k....so in this case city = neigborhood.