Annoying Parents & Soccer Brag
Add Reply
t***@yahoo.com
2019-09-10 21:11:55 UTC
My philosophy is coaching happens at practice, before the game, and halftime. Communication is players listening to each other and the referees. Parents can cheer, but telling kids what to do is discouraged, to the point of preseason review including a handout.

Nonetheless, one of the soccer moms, the biggest by 100 lbs - having never played a sport in her life - is constantly yelling instructions to anyone who will listen. Which is no one. It’s so bad, she brings one of those giant collapsible shade tents and no one will sit beneath it with her, not even her husband.

All that aside, we had a match in the heat of Saturday afternoon and halfway through the second half, we hear thunder. The refs, young teenagers, correctly stop play and consult with the coaches - the adults on the field - even though it’s their call. Very wise and “professional”.

Meanwhile Jaba Under the Tent is shouting across the field, “It isn’t thunder! It isn’t thunder!” I glance over after we agree to take a water break and she’s waddling our way. Great.

When she arrives, well, almost, she shouts “It isn’t thunder!” again. I try my best to not roll my eyes or look at her as if she’s an idiot, but it’s difficult.

So, she proceeds to tell me it’s some road construction that is at best 1 mile away. “It’s the dump trucks”, she says.

Then she whips out her phone and points at the radar. “See!!”

I didn’t have the heart to tell her that the radar shows rain, not lightning; maybe I think just didn’t want to explain it.

Anyway, the brag. One of my kids scored goal #800 last season and one scored #750 this season. Kind of cool.
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 03:05:57 UTC
I did a lot of coaching in the rec leagues when my kids were younger. I enjoyed indoor a lot since there were panels separating you and the kids from their parents. Other than some muted voices, all that the coaches and players could hear was each other. I liked the games the most. It was like playing chess with kids as the pieces. But you had to have the right group of kids and parents to make it worthwhile. Eventually I started forking over some bucks and gave over the coaching duties to guys with accents.
t***@yahoo.com
2019-09-11 10:14:39 UTC
There are tons of paid yourapeein coaches here, most of them are very talented and knowledgeable players, but I question the value of what they’re often teaching. It isn’t there fault, it’s systemic. All of them coach pay to play teams, so only their highest teams are well stocked. The rest should be in a rec league.

On that thought, one nearby location we play has signs posted on their fields, directed toward parents, and the last sentence is, “No college scholarships will be awarded today.”
J***@protonmail.com
2019-09-11 16:13:22 UTC
I wouldn’t recommend competitive club soccer for everyone, but if your kids are really into the sport, want to go to a higher level, and you have the time and money, then I do recommend it. If your kids are playing mainly to get some exercise and hang out with their friends and you want to avoid busy school nights, then stick to the rec leagues. Not all clubs are the same, so I would do some research to find the best fit for your kids (and you).

My 18 year starting to the club thing in 7th grade, and we were lucky to find a good fit for us. He wanted to play college soccer, and I was glad to support anything that would motivate him to attend college and stay enrolled. He was able to get one college offer (Montevallo U) and now he’s on the team. He hasn’t seen the field yet as a true freshmen, and this may be a redshirt season, but he’s hoping a spot in the rotation may open up next season.

My 16 year old mainly plays for social reasons and doesn’t want to commit to a competitive team. The rec leagues and school leagues are a good fit for him.

My 13 year old does the competitive thing but we’ve had to shop around for a few seasons to find the right club. Right now he’s playing for a coach who came to US to play for the New York Cosmos. He was teammates with Pele and Beckenbauer, which I think is pretty cool.
b***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 10:45:08 UTC
In fairness, dump trucks can sound like thunder.

And, in my experience, there are some very large people who either used to be or are very good at some sports and know them very well.

I’m not saying that is the case here, but it seems like you might have been trying to use weight to disqualify her knowledge and/or experience, and that can be a mistake.

One of my biggest surprises athletically was to find out just how good some of the older guys are at racquetball. I played in college, but, seriously, who knew?

Let’s see if I can find something else off-topic to say, oh yeah,

I hate soccer.
t***@yahoo.com
2019-09-11 11:30:33 UTC
This lady has talked about being fat since early adulthood and never playing sports. It’s surely stereotyping on my part, but there’s a lot of experience that people like this are my loudest critics. They go hand in hand with the dads that *might* have played some football in middle school or high school.

The quietest by far are the families with moms and dads who played in college, and a soulless who’ve played higher. I’ve even asked some of them for advice at times and they’re generally demure.

Re: thunder, yeah, I get it. But I’ve been around enough construction to know the difference between thunder and a dump truck, especially one that’s “right over there” which turns out to be a mile away through a heavily wooded area. It wasn’t a blast, a dump truck, or anything else. It was the thunderstorm we were watching develop over the trees.
Ken Olson
2019-09-11 11:47:57 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
This lady has talked about being fat since early adulthood and never playing sports. It’s surely stereotyping on my part, but there’s a lot of experience that people like this are my loudest critics. They go hand in hand with the dads that *might* have played some football in middle school or high school.
The quietest by far are the families with moms and dads who played in college, and a soulless who’ve played higher. I’ve even asked some of them for advice at times and they’re generally demure.
Re: thunder, yeah, I get it. But I’ve been around enough construction to know the difference between thunder and a dump truck, especially one that’s “right over there” which turns out to be a mile away through a heavily wooded area. It wasn’t a blast, a dump truck, or anything else. It was the thunderstorm we were watching develop over the trees.
I coached AYSO soccer for the youngest group for a couple of years. One
of the guys I coached with was doing like he was doing American
football. What a pain in the ass.