Question for BBQ Big Branes
mlmcm...@gmail.com
2021-02-01 04:17:59 UTC
So did some significant BBQ today -- ribs, chicken, a Boston butt. All came out very tasty. However, there was an odd thing with the pork.

I pulled the pork off the smoker with the internal temp about 170 degrees. It was clearly done inside and was very good. It was not, however, even remotely pullable. I finally just gave up, got out my sharp knife and sliced it up.

The taste is what matters and I'm not trying to win some kind of BBQ contest, but I'm still curious. Anyone got a good guess on why it wouldn't pull apart?
Tim VanWagoner
2021-02-01 11:54:19 UTC
So did some significant BBQ today -- ribs, chicken, a Boston butt. All came out very tasty. However, there was an odd thing with the pork.
I pulled the pork off the smoker with the internal temp about 170 degrees. It was clearly done inside and was very good. It was not, however, even remotely pullable. I finally just gave up, got out my sharp knife and sliced it up.
The taste is what matters and I'm not trying to win some kind of BBQ contest, but I'm still curious. Anyone got a good guess on why it wouldn't pull apart?
Pulled it off too soon and likely got too dry. It’s got to spend some time at that temp and actually get higher for all the collagen to break down.

Unless you’re real good a maintaining consistent temps for that long, it’s just easier to smoke for 3-4 hours, then wrap it in foil and finish in an oven.
t***@yahoo.com
2021-02-01 12:35:55 UTC
Post by Tim VanWagoner
So did some significant BBQ today -- ribs, chicken, a Boston butt. All came out very tasty. However, there was an odd thing with the pork.
I pulled the pork off the smoker with the internal temp about 170 degrees. It was clearly done inside and was very good. It was not, however, even remotely pullable. I finally just gave up, got out my sharp knife and sliced it up.
The taste is what matters and I'm not trying to win some kind of BBQ contest, but I'm still curious. Anyone got a good guess on why it wouldn't pull apart?
Pulled it off too soon and likely got too dry. It’s got to spend some time at that temp and actually get higher for all the collagen to break down.
Unless you’re real good a maintaining consistent temps for that long, it’s just easier to smoke for 3-4 hours, then wrap it in foil and finish in an oven.
What he said. A butt usually "stalls" around 170°. Just let it go for a while longer and don't pull it off until 190°. Even then wrap it in foil and let it sit for another 30 minutes.

If you don't already have one, get yourself a wireless thermometer and you can go about your day while the meat cooks. I do everything on my gas grill now and it's definitely set it and forget it. I only open the lid to add chips or take it off.

The one you've just done can still be chopped.
mlmcm...@gmail.com
Yeah, it tastes great and I just cut it up good with the knife, but it didn't "feel" right. I had a wireless with my previous smoker but it died. I do need to get another one.
mlmcm...@gmail.com
2021-07-25 21:02:43 UTC
On Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 10:18:00 PM UTC-6,
[...]
Bringing this one back as a report. Just finished up a new BBQ batch. I did a nice pork butt. Just got through pulling it. It worked perfectly. And it is outstanding.

Thanks for the coaching guys. (though I did leave it the full time on the smoker. Once I got it set, I was able to maintain the temp well.

Marty

mlmcm...@gmail.com
Thanks. I wondered about that but was nervous about leaving it on too long and drying it out. My cheap little smoker isn't that great at consistent temps either.
t***@yahoo.com
2021-02-02 02:16:50 UTC
Post by Tim VanWagoner
[...]
An ECB (El Cheapo Brinkmann)?

If so, I've smoke tons of meat on one of those things and there are ways of making it work very well. But you will have to tend it occasionally.
t***@yahoo.com
2021-02-02 02:18:13 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Post by Tim VanWagoner
[...]
There are some impressive wireless thermometers out there now, you can monitor air temp, multiple probes, etc.

I keep waiting for mine to die so I can get a fancier one.
mlmcm...@gmail.com
Actually, it's a cheap gas smoker. I got it on a clearance at Lowe's. Don't even remember the brand name. It's not Brinkmann. It does a pretty good job, though you do have to pay a bit of attention because it can flare up a bit.
Anonymous
2021-02-03 14:18:59 UTC
Post by t***@yahoo.com
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Tim VanWagoner
Post by ***@gmail.com
[...]
Then you’re set. Depending on the design, you can probably fix the flare
problem with a heat sink that also captures some of the fat by using a pan
filled with water, sand, or foil-wrapped bricks.

Sounds like a thermometer and solving the flares is all you need. ...and
some patience on the next butt.