"ZERO, or less, interest rates"
Add Reply
Futbol Phan
2019-09-11 15:53:18 UTC
Cheetolini getting desperate
Tom Enright
2019-09-11 16:08:26 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
Yep, it's hard to top the top.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/economy/black-unemployment-rate/index.html

-TE

‘I guarantee you. We’re going to end fossil fuel.’
-Joe Biden
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 16:50:45 UTC
Also:

https://countryeconomy.com/demography/literacy-rate/paraguay

This is the official non sequitur thread, right? We can't defend teh trumpster begging for negative rates - especially after wingers have been mocking that specific idea all year - but I thought everyone would be interested in the literacy rate in Paraguay.

Cheers.
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 18:21:57 UTC
Post by Tom Enright
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
Yep, it's hard to top the top.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/06/economy/black-unemployment-rate/index.html
Most of the lowering of unemployment rates has been people stopping looking for work.

Mike
Futbol Phan
Given that our economy is the best ever, absolutely fantastic, incredibly strong, why would your idol be seeking negative interest rates?
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-11 19:57:37 UTC
Because black unemployment is at an all time low?

Cheers.
RoddyMcCorley
2019-09-11 21:18:18 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.

The other aspect of it is that modest interest rates provide the Fed
with some dry powder in the event the economy takes a turn for the worse.
--
False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul
with evil.

Pennsylvania - Tá sé difriúil anseo.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-12 14:07:20 UTC
On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 17:18:18 -0400, RoddyMcCorley
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.

If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?

Hugh
Ken Olson
AFAIC, paying off debt is never a bad decision.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-12 17:43:10 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.
If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?
Hugh
AFAIC, paying off debt is never a bad decision.
My wife told me, some years ago, that our oldest son needed a house
near us. What a surprise - one was for sale just around the corner, in
sight!!

My investments paid more interest than mortgage interest so I
mortgaged about half our house. He will get both houses but will have
to pay the mortgage.

If interest rates go to zero, the unencumbered asset will be more
valuable than the cash. But it would have an adverse tax effect. I
think I prefer paying a little more tax but having no debt other than
monthly bills.

Hugh
JGibson
If they go to less than zero, and I can refinance my mortgage at less than 0, I should only pay the absolute minimum each month, since I'll now be paid to have a mortgage.
J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-12 17:53:22 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.
If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?
If they go to less than zero, and I can refinance my mortgage at less than 0, I should only pay the absolute minimum each month, since I'll now be paid to have a mortgage.
I had not thought of it that way.

My problem is that I don't like debt.

Mortgage interest is deductable. Wouldn't "paid to have a mortgage" be
reportable income and wouldn't payoff probably be discounted?

Hugh
xyzzy
They won't ever go to 0, or less than zero, for normal schlubs like us.
RoddyMcCorley
2019-09-12 18:57:21 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.
If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?
If they go to less than zero, and I can refinance my mortgage at less than 0, I should only pay the absolute minimum each month, since I'll now be paid to have a mortgage.
I doubt residential mortgage rates will go negative.

Current worldwide lowest rates. Still pretty good.

1 Japan 1.68
2 Switzerland 1.75
3 Finland 1.83
4 Germany 1.90
5 Luxembourg 2.00

RoddyMcCorley
2019-09-12 18:53:07 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.
If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?
Hugh
Nothing wrong with that if you have a mortgage. But if you are looking
for secure income, you will be out of luck.

J. Hugh Sullivan
2019-09-12 19:58:12 UTC
Post by RoddyMcCorley
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
That is really going to suck, especially for the retired folk.
I don't understand.
If interest rates go to zero on cash, why shouldn't I write a check
and pay off a mortgage?
Hugh
Nothing wrong with that if you have a mortgage. But if you are looking
for secure income, you will be out of luck.
The cash would not be collecting interest either.

I am just not competent to recognize all the possibilities and how I
should prepare for them. Neither of us would ever want to be a burden
on the kids so I am as financially conservtive as I ever was.

Hugh
Michael Press
2019-09-12 01:25:19 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
You know about being desperate.
Michael Press
Futbol Phan
2019-09-12 03:09:11 UTC
Yep, watching desperation summed up in a few tweets every day will do that. Becoming very familiar with it.
Michael Press
2019-09-12 20:57:35 UTC
Post by Futbol Phan
Post by Michael Press
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
You know about being desperate.
--
Michael Press
Yep, watching desperation summed up in a few tweets every day will do that. Becoming very familiar with it.
You project desperation. You dare not tackle the context of the
message: the economy.
Michael Press
d***@gmail.com
2019-09-12 21:25:04 UTC
Response teh first: "You know about being desperate." (Entirety of response).

Response teh 2nd: "You project desperation. You dare not tackle the context of the message".

Ahhhahahaha. Is there a word that captures "hypocrisy so far beyond normal hypocrisy we need a new word to describe it"?

Cheers.
RoddyMcCorley
2019-09-13 04:54:40 UTC
Post by Michael Press
Post by Futbol Phan
Post by Michael Press
Post by Futbol Phan
Cheetolini getting desperate
You know about being desperate.
--
Michael Press
Yep, watching desperation summed up in a few tweets every day will do that. Becoming very familiar with it.
You project desperation. You dare not tackle the context of the
message: the economy.
Hmm? Let's see.

Cheetolini, the King of Debt, bankrupts most of the companies he started
that require some business sense and management expertise. His old man
gifted him at least $1 million and then kept giving him money to bail
him out.

Do you think Cheetolini, Pussy Kushner, and the rest of the family won't
try to refinance tens if not hundreds of millions of debt if Cheetrolini
gets lower rates? Is that self-dealing?

Jerome Powell earned a degree in politics from Princeton University in
1975 and a Juris Doctor from Georgetown University Law Center in 1979.
He moved to investment banking in 1984, and has since worked for several
financial institutions. He briefly served as Under Secretary of the
Treasury for Domestic Finance under President George H. W. Bush in 1992.
More recently, he was a visiting scholar at the Bipartisan Policy Center
from 2010 to 2012. He has served as a member of the Federal Reserve
Board of Governors since 2012. He is the first Chair of the Federal
Reserve since 1987 not to hold a Ph.D. degree in Economics.